Chapter 15

A few hours full of eventful dreams later, Dustin awoke and blinked his way into a new day. He glanced about with interest, this moment being his first chance to take in the sights of Forbache in the morning light. Dew glistened on the delicate branches of the shrubbery around, and as Dustin's gaze ascended from there, he found himself able to fully appreciate the verdant richness of the trees farther west. The majestic beauty all about left the young prince with nothing but wonder.

In short order, the others awakened, ate a light meal, and set out to find the nearest town. When the quartet reached the tree-line, Michelle suggested she could climb a tree to gain a vantage point and spot a town from there to reduce their wandering.

Dustin, Jude, and Kyle waited with some measure of apprehension as Michelle worked her way up the tree, her utter confidence in each move indicating she had done similarly many a time before. After a couple minutes of climbing, she had reached the highest branch sturdy enough to support her weight, so carefully stood up and peered into the distance westward.

Michelle surveyed the land ahead for quite some time without saying a word, so Dustin eventually grew impatient. He craned his neck and cupped his hands over his mouth. "Well, what do you see?" he shouted.

A moment passed before Michelle looked down and replied, "There is a town to the northwest, no more than half an hour's travel. However, the gates are closed."

Dustin exchanged a glance with Jude. "That is peculiar."

Jude nodded. "Very odd. Still, we would be unwise to assume they won't open to us."

"Of course."

Michelle carefully maneuvered her way back down, and once she had taken a moment to regather herself, the party continued through the brush and vegetation under her lead. Along the way, they passed a cluster of bushes loaded with berries, which Jude didn't hesitate to ask Michelle about. With a pleasant grin, she called the procession to a halt and plucked some out for the men to try. The streaky red skin was somewhat chewy, but the juice was sweet as honey and sparkled in the mouth in a delightful way. Jude expressed distaste for them, but Dustin, Kyle, and Michelle picked out handfuls to snack on as they continued to the town.

When they began to approach the massive black gate on the south side of the town, Dustin broke position in the line to ride alongside Michelle and her camel. He squinted at the metal doors, noting with confusion that they weren't completely closed, but rather had been parted just a bit wider than a horse's shoulders. No guards stood at or around the entryway, a fact that left Dustin with uncertainty over whether to feel reassured or all the more concerned.

A few more paces, and Dustin locked eyes with Michelle. Neither spoke, but clearly, they were thinking the same thing. Whatever lay beyond the narrow opening, being the first in the party to make entry was somewhat more of a risk. One of them would have to take the chance, but who would that be?

"You are a prince." Michelle said, "I'll take the lead."

"Gives 'ladies first' a new meaning." Kyle muttered humorously behind them, earning a chuckle from Dustin.

"Very well." Dustin answered Michelle, "And I shall be right behind you."

So Michelle cautiously guided her camel through the narrow gap, Dustin and Consequence not more than a few inches behind. Nothing seemed to happen to Michelle at first, so Dustin confidently made his own entry and glanced about. The stone architecture all around struck him as rather impressive, at once giving off an atmosphere of grounded firmness and one of artistry and gracefulness. Nonetheless, the fact not a soul stood anywhere in sight couldn't but be a little unnerving.