Chapter 2

Dustin and Jude managed the monumental task of smuggling his skin-deep wound into the royal castle without rousing either attention or suspicion, after which they'd locked themselves inside Dustin's living quarters and bound his forearm in bandages which he concealed with a long-sleeved cloak. All the while, Dusting gushed in a self-congratulatory manner, boasting of the great bravery he'd displayed in bringing a common apple thief to justice. Jude kindly played along while also steering clear of adding any more fuel to the fire of Dustin's hubris.

However, the next day turned out to be a very different beast. The earlier half of the day was nothing but ordinary routine for Dustin, breakfast with his parents and his two sisters, followed by a morning of lessons with his assigned tutor. Dustin gave one ear to his lessons but his entire mind to daydreaming of what sorts of crime he would crush next in the capital. Maybe he'd discover a base of operations for a ring of kidnappers and bring them to bear for their crimes. Or perhaps he'd even uncover a conspiracy to take the throne. The possibilities were as endless as Dustin's imagination.

When noon rolled around, liberating the poor tutor from his vain task of attempting to educate a distracted prince, Dustin took a stroll through the royal garden maintained primarily for the pleasure of his mother, Queen Katherine Rickland. A rainbow of all manner of flowers, native to Monterayne and otherwise, sprawled out along a wire frame before Dustin and provided the visual equivalent of a dainty pastry. The blended floral scent reaching his nose was equally soothing.

Dustin perked up at the sound of footsteps behind himself, so he glanced back to see his father, King Manfred Rickland approaching. Everything about Dustin's father could fall under one word—long. He stood head and shoulders over most men, his physical stature as towering as his social sanding. And his thin, grave face matched his height well.

"I hope your morning lessons went well?" Manfred asked as he stepped closer, laying a hand on Dustin's shoulder. Due to his serious temperament, further sobered by years on the Monteraynian throne, Manfred had never been the most affectionate father imaginable, but the little gestures meant much.

"Well enough, I suppose." Dustin answered carefully, "I must confess I have felt rather distracted today."

"That's understandable. You've had much to think about, I'm sure."

Dustin glanced up sharply. Did his father know about yesterday? "I always do, Father."

"Yes, but in this case, you have more than normal. It's not every day one finds a prince running around and tussling with alleged thieves in the capital."

"Oh, that."

Manfred's dark brown eyes pierced into Dustin's soul. "Yes, that. Would you like to tell me about that?"

"Do I have to?"

"I mean...I guess not; I already know. But I'm giving you a chance to explain yourself before I take action."

Dustin suddenly found it difficult to swallow, with how dry his throat had become. "I saw a man steal some apples, so I took action! Some prince I would be if I simply watched crime happen and lifted not a finger to stop it."

"You're not fooling me, Dustin. You didn't engage him because he was a thief, but because his being a thief gave you an excuse to get your heart pumping and sword swinging."

"Not so! You misjudge me."

"And you misjudged this thief of yours." Manfred crossed his arms. "My knights investigated the matter and received confirmation from the vendor that this 'thief' did indeed pay for the apples he took. He is still being detained for thirty days on charges of threatening a royal and inflicting harm upon one, but I'd also like to point out he never would have been driven to that point, had you not chased and cornered him on false assumptions."