Chapter 1

Printempis 72nd, 1015 A.D.

The market square in Monterayne's capital city positively swarmed with activity one late spring morning as scores of vendors strove to fill their purses and an even larger number of buyers sought to empty theirs. Pigeons nibbled on crumbs dropped along the dirt walkway, their cooing drowned out by the mingled conversations of townsmen walking above them, as well as the tones of a quartet of musicians on the north side of the market square. Meanwhile, the birds remained blissfully unaware of their less fortunate brethren on the east side whose flesh currently browned over an open fire. The savory smoke radiating out from the cookout pleased the noses of any men and women walking by.

Prince Dustin Rickland leaned against a stone wall on the outskirts of the square, his keen green eyes piercing through the crowd in search of wrongdoing. Many had said Monterayne's youthful prince carried the bearing of a warrior in every respect, with his sharp, handsome features and dark brown hair contrasting his pale skin, not to mention the muscular physique he worked so hard for. All he lacked was a distinguished beard to immediately command respect in addition to the intimidation exuded by his cutting gaze.

Dustin was accompanied by his constant companion, Jude Holt. Jude held no particular title, but he looked the part of a lord. His clothes fit his body perfectly, not a wrinkle in sight, and not a single smear to obscure the gleam of his uniform's various golden ornaments. His face was as well-defined as Dustin's, but without so many sharp angles. With his fair hair and compassionate blue eyes, he certainly exuded the energy of a very different spirit from that of his companion, like the salt to his pepper.

"I tell you, Jude, we shall catch this thief yet." Dustin blurted out, breaking the comfortable silence between the two youths as they watched the goings-on of the square, "I am sure of it."

"You're always sure of yourself, Dustin." Jude remarked, "Did you really see him steal those apples, or did you just fail to notice him paying?"

Dustin glanced back sharply, dark eyebrows furrowing slightly upon beholding Jude's slight smirk. "I saw it with my own two eyes. I swear on the crests of the mountain ring, I saw him steal them."

"If you insist...I suppose I'll purge my memory of the times you've been wrong before now."

"This is different. I saw this, Jude."

"And we're here to do what exactly?" Jude laughed.

"Catch him in the act! He comes at the same time every day; we have but a minute or two to wait."

"You mean to tell me this man steals from the same vendor every day, and nobody ever sees him but you?"

"Yes!" Dustin huffed at his friend. "Why would I lie to you of all people? You see right through me."

"I don't think you're lying. I just think you're wrong."

"Why—all the years we've spent together, and you think so lowly of me?"

Jude shot his signature grin Dustin's way, showing only his top row of teeth and throwing his hands up in exasperation. "You really want to know what I think?"

Dustin nodded eagerly, eyes darting aside to see if the thief had entered the square yet, which he hadn't. "Absolutely."

"I think you're simply eager to get a taste of action. In a way, you want this man to be a thief, so you can run over and catch him."

"No...that's ridiculous."

"In what do I err? You love adventure, and you love excitement, so you seek it out."