Chapter 19

The sun had only just begun to rise again when the rebel party returned to the stronghold several miles east. Dustin certainly anticipated a bit of rest and relaxation after that ordeal. After all, several hours of hiking in cold, wet trousers, combined with much time spent in uncomfortable crouching positions to avoid enemy detection wore on the body after a while. All the same, it had been an enlightening experience, and the young prince now carried a greater appreciation for fighters of all sorts—knights, soldiers, and insurgents alike.

So the rebel commander led his group to Ken-Malé's headquarters to report their findings, and as it turned out, a pair of the rebels had snuck fairly far into the camp itself and eavesdropped on the command tent. Another detachment of troops was supposed to reach the Innutukian camp by noon, and then they would set out to attack the stronghold as Michelle had suspected.

Another rebel had counted all the horses present in the camp, an action so obvious Dustin could only berate himself for not thinking to do the same. Nonetheless, the Forbachean man had counted 35 equines. Not that a traditional Innutukian cavalry charge would have any effect on the sturdy stone walls of the rebels' stronghold, of course. In fact, the imperial forces had hardly a chance of breaking through either, considering Dustin had spotted neither catapults nor battering rams in the camp. By all likelihood, any efforts on Innutuk's part would prove fruitless and costly.

"We have the morning ahead of us." Ken-Malé stated at the end of the rebels' impromptu meeting, "We'll spend the time preparing our defenses. This meeting is adjou—"

A loud creak drew everyone's attention to the meeting room's door, where two Forbachean men escorted none other than Nathan Korynn inside. Nathan's eyes immediately locked with Dustin's, and the mingled disappointment and frustration in his gaze caused the prince to hang his head and sigh. His chest tightened in anticipation of whatever harsh words he would hear in the near future.

"I hate to interrupt," one of the soldiers addressed Ken-Malé, "but this man just wandered up to our gates and requested entry. He's looking for—"

"I've found the ones I'm looking for." Nathan interjected, pointing at Dustin and his comrades, "They're not supposed to be here, and I apologize for any damage they might have done in their time here."

Ken-Malé frowned. "They've caused no trouble. On the contrary, they've made themselves useful. Who are you?"

"Nathan Korynn. Retired Monteraynian knight."

"I see. Were you tasked with watching over Prince Dustin here?"

Nathan nodded. "I was. The Monteraynian heir is bullish and impulsive, though."

Dustin glared. "I am not! I simply refuse to stand by and allow oppression and mistreatment to stand! You once fought against Innutuk with passion and valor, yet now you stand in my way when I strive to do the same."

"You're not ready! But we should continue this elsewhere." Nathan turned to Ken-Malé again. "Are you the leader here?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well, I would have you know an Innutukian force is amassing in a town several miles north. They're putting armor on their horses, filling their quivers, all that. I heard talk in the inn last night of 'heading south', so there's a chance they're coming here."

"Almost certainly." Ken-Malé said, thoughtfully smoothing his beard, "How many?"

"I didn't stop and count; once I saw that happenin', I got out of there."

"I see. Well, we're grateful for the information."

Nathan nodded and stepped toward Dustin and his companions. "No need to thank me. I'll just take my people and go."