Chapter 7

Despite having received no advance warning of Dustin's arrival at their homestead, Nathan and Kelly proved themselves to be exemplary hosts, providing the best accommodations they could with the resources they had. Upon hearing of Dustin's wounded forearm, Kelly had applied a homemade ointment to facilitate healing and bound it in bandages. After that, they all gathered around to eat dinner.

As Nathan had warned, the stew didn't dance nearly as flavorfully on Dustin's tongue as he would have liked, but nonetheless, its heartiness was thoroughly satisfying. On Dustin's request, Nathan spent almost the entire mealtime spouting story after story of his adventures on the battlefield alongside Manfred. Particularly amusing were the ones Dustin had already heard, but with extra details that Manfred himself had left out from either embarrassment or pure forgetfulness.

Dustin had been eager to have his first lesson that very night, but Nathan declined, remarking that a well-rested student is a more attentive student. So instead, the five in the homestead played a few board games, a highlight being when Kyle taught Dustin and Jude to play a strange and complicated one called Forbachean battle checkers. By and by, sleepiness settled over them all, so after showing Dustin and Jude to a spare room, the Korynns themselves retired.

The next morning after breakfast, Dustin left the table with Nathan, heart pounding in anticipation of having his first lesson. They headed back to the miscellaneous room he'd originally met Kyle in, and Nathan strode over to a back corner where a dusty wooden case sat atop a sturdy table. With a sigh, he undid the clasps holding the case closed and opened it to reveal a weathered sword Dustin identified as a falchion. Its broad blade bore a pair of dents, and the cutting edge had been chipped in a few spots, but it still managed to be a handsome weapon.

Nathan stared at the weapon in his hand fondly before slowly twirling it in his hand, evidently to refamiliarize himself with its weight. He winced a particular movement of his wrist, so repeated the movement slower and more carefully.

"We'll have to take this slow at first." Nathan said, "To tell you the truth, I haven't picked this thing up in years."

Dustin frowned. "Why?"

"What cause have I had to pull it out?" Nathan asked with a laugh, "There's nobody to spar with out here, and spears are better weapons for dealing with the rare wildlife that comes through."

"That surprises me. To me, a weapon is like a friend. You wouldn't suddenly stop talking to a friend for years, would you?"

"I would, and have."

Dustin halted, realizing how true that was. "I didn't think that one through very well, did I?"

"Not particularly." Nathan remarked with a chuckle, shifting his feet into an appropriate stance for swordfighting. "Now, let's begin. I want to first see where you're at, so a casual sparring match is in order."

A smirk spread across Dustin's lips as he slid his own arming sword from its sheath. "Prepare to be amazed, Sir Korynn."

"I may very well be amazed, but you have no guarantee that amazement will be of the favorable variety."

"I'm fairly certain of the outcome."

Nathan shook his head in exasperation. "Show me your best."

Dustin hardly hesitated a second before charging in with a telegraphed blow aimed at Nathan's shoulder. Nathan simply stepped aside and stuck out a leg afterward to trip Dustin.

Dustin's eyes widened, hand extended to catch his fall. His sword clattered to the ground. He rolled over after taking a second to collect his wits again, and to his surprise, Nathan hadn't made any move to take advantage of his compromised state. With a quick breath, he retrieved his sword and hopped back to his feet.