Mumbo's betrayal (Grian angst) (Pt 1)

Author's note - This is not meant to match with their personalities, I just thought of a story and needed characters.

TW - Mention of blood, bombs and mild versions of a panic attack

It was finally the end of the day. 

The war hadn't been going on for long at all, but it feels like it's just always been a part of life. Just routine by now. 

Grian slammed the door behind him, his heart beating like crazy. He panted as he called for Professor Beak, his parrot. He was now in charge of trapping their base, and Mumbo was to do the Redstone. As a master prankster, he wanted to do something never thought of before. Something crazy. He untangled his hair and sat down at his desk. 

The bluebird flew up beside him as he got to work. His pencil scratched on the paper, the trash-filled with failed blueprints. His coffee-coloured desk was creaking as he worked more and more furiously, wanting to finish the planning in one go. The wind whistled through the trees, singing a lovely lullaby as Grian soon sat snoring on his desk. 

He had planned a massive party, pretending to surrender. They would have a party at the other base and then proceed to hide every possible trap there. Mumbo would take care of the more complicated bits and Grian would do the easier bits. Grian dreamed of the trap all night. 

Creak

A figure dashed through the shadows, working on a little something. 

---

The next morning he was awoken by the golden rays of sun shining through the curtains, the wind settling down. The warmth hugged him as he looked around. He felt it in his bones as he stood up. Something wasn't right, and by the looks of it, someone had been in here. 

The branch he'd placed over the door was knocked down, and the window was forced open. He examined the room, looking up and around. He looked down. String? Confused by the string, he stepped closer, wishing to examine it. He hadn't had the foggiest idea of what that might be. He tripped over the chair leg, causing him to tumble over. 

The string was pushed under his foot. Click

A loud BOOM rumbled across the land as the brunette kneeled back up. He patted himself off. He looked out the window as everyone was freaking out, buildings crumbling everywhere. He peered closer out the window. He was drowning in waves of guilt at the moment he'd realized what he'd done. 

A nuke. Who had put this trap here? He focused his eyes on a human figure that wasn't moving, at all. It seemed quite calm. It was tall and thin, its hair ruffling in the light breeze. It turned around and noticed Grian, giving him a sly smirk. He instantly recognized that mustache that only one person wore so fabulously. 

  Mumbo? What? Why isn't he running? Did he plan this? he thought to himself. 

He panicked while Mumbo waltzed off, ready to frame Grian. He had gotten video evidence now, though it wasn't as convincing as he wanted it to be. No worries, he had backup. His plan was simple, to frame and get rid of Grian. 

He had always hated Grian with his jokes and mostly, how much he was liked. Yea sure, his jokes were horrid, but he wanted to be liked, but no one paid any attention to him, only Grian. Grian this Grian that, Mumbo was sick of it. 

He had tried being friendly, but only Grian paid any mind. Grian seemed to like Mumbo, which is why he hesitated for a bit, but soon, he went on with the plan. "GUYS! GRIAN TRIED TO SABOTAGE US!" Mumbo yelled. Everyone was shocked. Grian was a lovely guy, always trying to lighten the mood by dressing up or playing pranks. 

"Mumbo, if you're trying to prank us, this is not the time." False stated, glaring at him. Mumbo shot back. "No, I got proof, right here," he replied patting his right pants pocket. He brought out a picture, and sure enough, everyone believed that Grian had done it. 

The picture was a blackboard, with plans of murder and of course, a diagram of a nuke. It was all super impressive, and Grian was horrible at Redstone, so Mumbo made sure to include a Redstone Guide in the picture. This was built to look like Grian's base, and the handwriting was based on Grian's handwriting. 

And everyone had believed it. 

All except Doc. Doc easily saw through Mumbos look of worry, his lies and his deceit. Mumbo's "evidence" was staged, as Grian was more secretive than that, and he had never even shown any interest in learning Redstone. 

He had planned secrets before, usually parties. And he wouldn't even put those plans near his base. He would never hide secrets that big anywhere near his base, and Doc already had enough evidence of his own. He had seen Mumbo let slip a smirk at Grian when he had accidentally triggered the nuke. 

Maybe that was something else, but he had other reasons to suspect Mumbo too. And during the nights, Mumbo was never in his bunker, yet he claimed to be sleeping. He also claimed that he, himself also knew how to build bombs, probably referencing the nuke. 

He was almost certain that it was Mumbo. Doc tried to tell the others, but they all believed Mumbo instead. Doc did a mental facepalm. Mumbo was ecstatic. Finally! Grian is going to be a goner! He was completely obvious to the stare Doc was giving him as he thought of all the glory. Yes! 

Iskall marched away, his eyes locked on Grian's house. Iskall was going to destroy Grian. Doc then thought of a plan, one of revenge. 

This would be epic. Grian saw his door get kicked down by Iskall. He waved. "Hello-" Iskall knocked out Grian with a single roundhouse kick to the face. Grian coughed, then promptly collapsed. Iskall was blinded by rage when that happened, enraged by Grian's "actions," He panted, sweat beads dripping down his face. 

He dragged Grian to the lake, threw him in, then sat by the river bed. He looked at Grian. Iskall started crying. Tears ran down his face while he gasped for air. The realization had hit him way later than it could have. Only if it had hit him sooner. 

He felt a pat on his back. "Hey, don't cry," it said, hanging his arm around him. Iskall looked over. Doc was sat there, calming him down. "It's okay, it's okay, let's just get Grain out of the river before he dies, okay?" Doc said in a relaxed tone. Iskall nodded, wiping away his tears.