Epilogue Part One.

The group stood around the graves after clearing the weeds and planting fresh flowers. It was warm out, despite the sun only just cresting the horizon.

"Does anyone have any words?" a sweet voice spoke. Her companions' throats all clenched despite it being a year since the battle. 

"I'll go first if that's okay..." Her lover squeezed her hand three times, and she reciprocated. 

"I just want to say thank you to Ivy, Joel, and Ash for all the amazing things you did that saved us. All of us." She leaned against her soulmate and spoke again. 

"If it weren't for you, I would have never found my favourite person in the universe. Sweet Jean."

"Red," Jean grumbled, bumping into her shoulder, embarrassed. Her friends smiled and a few snickers reached her ears. She spun on them and snarled, "Hera, respectfully. Shut up."

Hera simply leaned in and whispered, "I told you so," before snuggling back against the most perfect love of her life. He sighed and nudged her, hearing the thought easily. She rolled her eyes and grinned."Not my fault you're basically telepathic now."

Only with you. His voice caressed her mind.

"I'll go next." Hera rocked on her feet nervously. "I haven't come here often, because it hurts so much. I didn't know Ash well, but if it weren't for him, we would never have had a chance. He saved us twice, and I'm eternally grateful for him." She heard Sages sniffle behind her and quiet, retreating feet. 

"Ivy was so wonderful to me. She made me feel at home before I knew I could belong to somewhere as amazing as this." Her throat clenched, and she fought back the burn in her eyes. "I miss her so much, especially when I get my ass kicked in training." A few chuckles sounded in the small meadow. 

"And Joel..." Grief surged in her chest before she gingerly pushed it down. Juno curled up inside Hera's mind with a soft cry of despair.

"Joel was my first friend, then my first enemy. He tried to kill me, then he saved me, so many times. He was a good man, just like his dad and I'm so thankful that I got to have him in my life, even if it was only for a little while." She sniffled and wiped the tears that escaped. Juno was mostly quiet now but Hera could feel their sorrow whenever Hera thought of Joel. She believed in her heart that Joel could have been Juno's soulmate, but now it could never be confirmed. Theo hugged her closer and kissed the top of her head. He knew her internal struggle completely and loved her regardless. 

She smiled up at him, "I love you." She whispered aloud. His smile eased the ache. She felt such guilt that she hadn't said it before almost losing Theo forever, so now she wouldn't stop. And Theo loved her more every time.

"Your dad invited us all to dinner," Jean broke the silence and her soulmate grinned, squeezing her hands and bouncing on her toes. Hera was so surprised when Jean told her she had found her soulmate. Especially in the sweetest Evolved who could simultaneously kick ass. Red could create visual illusions like Joel but she was exceptionally trained. She could make dozens of different-looking people that were tangible. Hera always found it hard watching Red train as she was reminded of Joel.

"There's some special news so please come tonight." Reds eyes shimmered and a blush flecked her cheeks. 

Hera nodded at the invitation. "We'll be there Red, thank you."

They said their goodbyes and walked home.

...

"What do you think the news is?" Hera shoulder bumped Theo and he smiled down at her knowingly.