19. First Kiss.

Before Hera could get far, her aunt had caught up, "Where are you going, sweetie?"

"I need to find Joel. I don't suppose you know where he is?" Hera waggled her eyebrows at Jackie and smiled sweetly. 

"What the hell is that look for?" Jackie slapped her playfully on the shoulder before telling her to follow her down the empty hall. They walked for a few minutes before reaching the interrogation rooms, and she could see Joel's silhouette in a dim room. 

"Why is he in the dark?"

"We thought he might like to rest..."

"Is he tied to the table?"

"Maybe..."

Hera didn't even respond; she just rolled her eyes before opening the door and finding a seat opposite a scowling Joel.

"Why are you giving me that look? If anyone should be scowling, it's me, Joel." She leaned back, bored, and picked at her cuticles.

"You deserved it. You're the reason he's dead." Joel's fury felt like a kick in the gut to Hera, but she quickly shut down Jackie with a look before she could snap at him.

"Tell me, how is it that someone as smart as you got manipulated by the people that took everything from you?" Joel was looking away now, and Hera gestured for Jackie to give back some stolen memories. Sweat quickly streaked his brow as realisation flickered across his features, then outrage, "Don't show me those lies. They told me you could implant false memories."

Jackie was gentle, "No, I can only return exactly what I took. I'm sorry I took these from you..." He screamed in frustration as Hera continued to try to break him down.

"They killed your mother too. Can you remember? We grew up together, and then you went away. Your father ran with you to protect you. He loved you more than anything, and my family kept your secret. I think that's why your dad helped me because you two got out, but my parents didn't..." She intentionally left out her current parental status and searched his eyes, streaming tears.

Hera felt a memory enter her mind now, too: two mischievous eight-year-olds running through Jackie's house, hiding all the cutlery. Then two twelve-year-olds' sneaking a kiss in an unfamiliar bedroom. Hera's mouth dropped open, and she saw a mirrored expression on Joel's face. He was panting heavily, clearly in pain from the volume of memories.

"What the fuck Jackie?" Hera said, spinning to face her aunt. She had the grace to look embarrassed and guilty while she shrugged.

"I thought you gave all mine back!" Hera nearly shouted. "How much more is there?" She demanded.

"None. I promise that was the last of it. I just thought it wasn't helpful knowledge at the time. I'm sorry."

When Hera turned back to Joel, his demeanour had changed. Tears of resignation now rolled down his cheeks, painting the table beneath him. "It's all true, isn't it. We were friends. We might have even been more?" He swallowed, looking pained.

Heat crept up Hera's neck, and she palmed her hand flat on the table next to his as an invitation. He obliged, reluctantly cupping his hand over hers and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"I'm so sorry about your dad Joel. He was like a father to me, and I'm so grateful for him. If he hadn't been there for me, then I would be dead. He was the hero. I don't blame you for being angry at me, but others might not be as forgiving of you, you know, trying to murder me." Hera gently slipped her hands out from Joel and into her lap. Her energy hummed happily. "Did Panacea or anyone tell you their plans? Like what they wanted from you?" Hera questioned carefully.

Joel looked nervous and ashamed, but Hera wasn't foolish enough to trust him entirely yet.

"Not really. They took dad first, and when I couldn't find him, I called the police, but they showed up instead. They told me he died accidentally while trying to escape, but they only wanted to ask him questions about you, and then they would have let him go. They made it seem like it was your fault. That you and Jackie brainwashed him and warned me everything your people said would be a lie. They sent me to their only known safe house, and that's how I got here, I guess." Joel finished his statement with a wince and asked what would happen next.

"I want you to come with us. When Panacea comes, they will kill you or use you to hurt people. And despite what you may believe, I don't want you to get hurt. I just don't know how to prove you're trustworthy to the others."

"That's probably wise after what I did to you... or tried to, I guess." Joel looked impressed with Hera. "You kicked my ass, and what even was that thing at the end. It felt like I got punched by a giant fist."

Hera just laughed smugly and chided him for underestimating her when Jackie interrupted, "I could get Kian to check if he's being truthful. Human lie detector, after all?" They both agreed, and Joel's calm attitude solidified for her that he was a changed man. Kian asked a few questions looking irritated,

"Are you going to betray us?"

"No."

"Would you do everything in your power to protect the people in this community over the assholes at Panacea?"

"Yes."

"Do you blame Hera for your dad's death?"

There was a small sigh before, "Not anymore."

Kian looked satisfied and nodded to Jackie, "All clear." She thanked him and sent him on his way. He looked confused suddenly, and Hera knew he had just lost his memories of this event. She felt sick thinking how often she walked away from her well-meaning aunt, confused and dazed. 

Hera shook the thoughts away and released Joel leading him to the mess hall to turn in for the night.