8. Aura.

"Where did you go earlier?" Theo questioned when he entered her room. 

Hera pretended to be asleep, hoping they wouldn't have to talk. She heard him mutter a confused, "okay?" under his breath before settling down on the new couch they had put in her room. Much better than sleeping on the floor, Theo had remarked. 

Hera waited for Theo's breathing to even out before looking over at him. She gasped when she saw him staring straight at her. "What the fuck, Theo!" She threw a pillow at his head, her heart still racing.

"Ouch. You were ignoring me. And what if I slept with my eyes open, huh?" He frowned, rubbing his forehead sitting up.

"I was training, and then I went to bed. Happy?"

"Why are you in a mood?"

"I'm not in a mood. Don't act like you care. I know you're only doing your job, but I think I am getting a handle on this Evolved stuff, and I want to sleep in my room alone."

Theo was frowning, "It's not safe..."

Hera cut him off. "I feel stronger and more in control every day. You haven't had to help me in days now, besides with Fern, and that's different." Hera paused to breathe, and Theo cut in again.

"Okay, what the hell is going on with you, Hera? What did I do?"

She shook her head. "Listen, lines are blurring for me... I mean. I'm doing this for you, okay? You deserve to live your own life. Everyone thinks it's stupid that you need to babysit me all the time, and so do I. So just go!"

Theo leaned forward, elbows resting on his knees. "Done?"

Hera rolled her eyes before falling back onto her pillow and staring at the white ceiling. "Yes."

"Come with me somewhere tonight. Karaoke."

Hera smirked. "Aren't you done with singing women for a lifetime by now?"

"Get dressed. I'll be outside." He walked out and closed the door behind him. Hera had no idea how the conversation turned the way it did. What the fuck just happened?

She heard a muffled shout from outside the door, "Don't question it. Get dressed."

Begrudgingly rolling out of bed, Hera dressed in some of the new clothes the Community had given her. Baggy jeans, a long-sleeved crop, and an oversized jacket. Cosy.

Hera took a few moments to wash her face and add a bit of colour when she noticed something bizarre. She realised she hadn't looked in a mirror in a while and was shocked to see her eyes looked different than the usual dark brown and blue. 

She knew she had heterochromia from childhood, but now they were both spattered in flecks of gold and green. Her left eye, the blue one, looked much brighter, and the right eye looked more hazel than the deep chocolate colour she was used to. 

"What the fuck?" She stared for a while before flicking off the lights, heart pounding. It must just be the lighting of this place, she thought, leaving her room. Theo's gaze lingered on her a little while before questioning if she was feeling okay. 

Hera nodded, breathing shallowly so Theo wouldn't notice her anxiety rising. He put his hand out for her to hold, and she blushed, placing her hand in his. Immediately her anxiety calmed, and she pulled her hands away, embarrassed. He was just trying to get her abilities under control. Nothing more, she scolded herself. 

 "Let's go then," Hera said, noting a slight frown on Theo's face before he turned and walked away. Soon they found themselves outside the 'Green Room' again.