11. Preparations.

When Hera awoke, her room was empty. 

She could still feel the soothing touch of Theo caressing her soul, and she missed him. She heard a soft knock, and a very guilty-looking Jackie came in. Before Hera said anything, Jackie started. "I'm so sorry, Hera. Please let me explain." 

Hera just stared at the ceiling while Jackie approached. 

"I promise you; I didn't know Joseph was alive. Monroe said you had destroyed everything when you showed up through the portal. So I just assumed everyone died." Jackie swallowed back tears. "I've heard whispers from other Evolved. Panacea is looking for you, Hera, and they won't stop until they find you. Everyone here is in danger if you stay." Her words came out in a rushed whisper.

Hera's eyes burned as she sat up and scowled at Jackie, anxiety rising. "I'm finally making progress here. I feel like I'm figuring out who I am and what I can do, and now you're telling me I have to leave? There are people here I care about. I don't want to leave them."

Jackie's voice raised an octave. "Please think about this! They are harvesting our kind and using their abilities. So there's a chance they could already know where we are."

"Then we should take everyone with us. There are innocent people here that we cannot let Panacea get their hands on."

"How are we supposed to hide dozens of Evolved Hera? How?"

"I don't know," Hera dropped her head into her palms, "I'll fight. Jean and Theo will too. We can save everyone and stop anyone who comes to take them. We have to. I can't leave them defenceless, Jackie. Please!"

Jackie started pacing. "Jesus Hera, you're still a child. You shouldn't be fighting anybody."

"I'm twenty, Jackie, and this is the world we live in. You hid me away, stole my memories, and made me believe I was crazy instead of preparing me for this fight." Hera stood, grabbing Jackie's shoulders to steady her.

"Fuck, okay, I get it. I just need some time to think. Maybe I can get all the young ones out into our safe houses up north..."

Jean interrupted that thought process barging through the doors gesticulating wildly. "Hey princess, is it true?" She looked briefly at Jackie, "Sorry lady." Jean grabbed Hera's arm, bringing back some not-so-fun memories. "Is the director your dad?"

Hera gently uncurled Jean's hand from her bicep. "Jean, this is not the best time. How did you even find out about that?"

"Theo..." Her expression personified the word 'Duh!' While Hera looked exasperated.

"Yes, it's true, but it's not important right now because everyone here is in danger. Panacea is looking for me, but there's a chance they might already know I'm here. I want to fight, but I need to know if you'll help us."

Jean looked slightly shaken, "Of course, I'll help you, Hera. Those fucks deserve a taste of their own medicine. Let's go tell the Director."

The group talked for hours, formulating different plans and figuring out what fighting numbers they would have to work with. Twenty-eight children and young evolved would need to be evacuated along with fifteen nonfighter elders. The rest would have the choice to stay behind and fight or protect the young ones as they head north for the safe houses. 

With winter in full swing, they would need a lot of resources and support to get started up. Jackie asked Monroe to start getting each cabin ready for operation. They shared a long look upon departure. Hera wondered if they had something going on. 

"You think they're fucking?" Jean whispered in her ear with a smirk. 

Hera gave her a pointed look and laughed a bit, saying, "Shut the fuck up."

 Training commenced the following day.

...

Theo and Hera sparred all day while Jean coached them. It was more like screaming at them for five hours, but it motivated everyone. Hera only took breaks to eat, and when everyone went to bed, she went to the chamber to practice 'creating'. 

Hera rolled her eyes, remembering the voice. Who the fuck was that, anyway, she thought. She shook her head to rid the thought and started focusing on drawing her energy to her palms and directing it outward. Instead of destroying all of the furniture, she tried to lift them. 

Her father was telekinetic, after all. Surely she could make things levitate. She managed to get the bed off the floor a few inches and only disintegrated the lower half of it. 

She pulled a face. She was missing something.

Hera went to leave and stepped through the threshold when a thought came to her. Turning and leaving the door ajar, she sat down and closed her eyes, focusing on her breathing as Fern taught her. 

After a time, she heard the familiar voice.

Memories. 

Her eyes popped open. "What memories?" She said aloud. The voice didn't reply, so Hera closed her eyes again, feeling her power gently pass through her. She brought her hands together, palms slightly apart, and let the power jump across her fingertips.

Take. Memories. Back. The voice finally answered. 

 Hera kept herself calm this time, not responding but letting her ability pass down her body until it rooted her to the ground. She felt herself digging deep within the earth and could feel its heartbeat. She could feel everything; the gentle quiver of the air around her face, the louder groaning of the tungsten chamber, and the slower rolling vibrations of the earth thousands of meters down. 

As her power surged outwards, she felt the vibration of people. She could feel Jackie's barely tamed evolution instantly. She felt Jean with her confident outer shield guarding a broken inner child. And Theo. So much power wrapped in a beautiful, tortured soul. Hera slowly drew her energy back into her body, and tears of joy coated her cheeks. 

She had never felt something so incredible or powerful before. She had sought control for so long that she was missing this connection she had to her abilities all along. Leaving the Chamber, Hera had more peace in her heart than she had ever known. She knew what the voice meant now, and she went to find Jackie to get all her memories back. 

She was ready.