41. Shield.

One by one, Hera, Theo, Joseph, Zeke, and Jean walked through Monroe's portal into the dark forest. 

They were still deep in the tree's cradle; the plateau was a ten-minute walk away. Sage and Ash had gone ahead preparing the tunnels beneath the platform. It was more challenging than they thought, based on the materials of the mountain, they had to shift. 

A small cave-in nearly crushed Ash, so they had to work slower and more calculatingly. Hera had placed the mod in Jean that morning amid a string of profanities and grumbles, but it was working well, Juno confirmed. Monroe stayed at the portal entrance, ensuring it stayed open and void of unwanted guests as they trudged closer to the forest edge. 

Hera felt strong with her Mod a full strength, but kissing Theo goodbye in the forest was painful. The distance between them weakened her. Not enough to be dangerous, but enough for her to feel a trace of emptiness. 

I'll see you soon. I love you. His warm voice caressed her mind before he was out of sight. 

 It was Jean and Joseph's turn to stop. They were just far enough into the forest that they were invisible, but could see the plateau clearly. Zeke and Hera were the last two and broke into the clearing nervously. The mountainside was mostly flat, besides a few large boulders framing the edges. Snow still sat atop the highest peak, but the plateau itself was dry. Tufts of green and brown grass poked through a fine layer of dirt on its surface.  

Hera waited for Theo's confirmation, and before long, they all received it. They're coming. She gulped and gripped Zeke's hand. He was calm and still. No trace of anxiety came from him. She only wished she could be so brave as she passed her energy across her fingertips.

They didn't have to wait long before the air felt electric around them. An aircraft unlike anything Hera had ever seen hovered in front of them. It could have easily blasted them all off the mountain but to her relief, it set down on the edge of the plateau and the doors opened. The Evolved just kept coming. 

She counted thirty. 

It seemed impossible for the number of people to come out of that sized aircraft and Hera looked to Zeke confused. He smiled down at her and her fears eased slightly before her attention was drawn to Azrail. He looked as fearsome as ever and awfully smug. 

"What's this girl? This is the welcome party I get? Pathetic." He paused for a second, likely giving an order to his Evolved puppets. Hera sent out her energy curiously but could not feel him. He was well guarded somehow. After a brief once over of the people surrounding Azrail, Hera realized fearfully he had a Shield Evolved helping him. Azrail returned his steely gaze to hers and the group slowly advanced. She swallowed her fear and realized their plan was going to have to unravel fast.

"We are going to kill everyone you love and then you will join us, little girl." He didn't even look worried, which may have been the reason he didn't notice the tremor beneath his feet, nor have time to react as he plummeted two stories into the mountain face. Hera quickly collapsed the earth to give them more time as two Evolved began clawing at the dirt to free their puppet master. One of them must have been the Shield. They were insanely fast and Zeke took his cue without a peep from Hera. 

The mountainside lit up like the night sky. 

Each Evolved twinkled beautifully, twelve had dimmer lights, nine had bright lights and another nine had none. This confused Hera but she had no time to process this as her father stepped forward and wrapped his telekinetic embrace around the dimly lit Evolved. They struggled under his grip but he was powerful. They disappeared into the forest at speed and Joseph hurtled them towards the portal.