11 | The New Avengers Facility

Three months later

"The rules have changed," Steve said.

I rolled my eyes as I walked down the hall of the new Avengers Facility with Steve, Tony, and Thor.

"We're dealing with something new," Tony said.

"Well, the Vision's artificial intelligence," Steve said.

"A machine," Tony replied.

"So it doesn't count," Steve said.

Thor and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes.

"No. It's not like a person lifting the hammer," Tony said, nodding.

"Right," Steve agreed. "Different rules for us."

"Nice guy, but artificial," Tony said.

"Thank you!"

"If he can wield the hammer, he can keep the Mind Stone," Thor said. "It's safe with the Vision and these days, safe is in short supply."

We all nodded in agreement.

"But if you put the hammer in an elevator..."

I scoffed at Steve.

"It would still go up," Tony said.

"Elevator's not worthy."

"You're not worthy, so shut up," I said, rubbing my temples.

"Just because you were able to fluke it doesn't mean you're better than us," Tony said.

I laughed.

"Oh, but that's exactly what it means," I said.

Thor grinned at me and clapped me on the back.

"I'm going to miss these little talks of ours," he said.

"Well, not if you don't leave," I said hopefully.

Thor sighed and shook his head.

"I have no choice," he replied. "The Mind Stone is the fourth of the Infinity Stones to show up in the last few years. That's not a coincidence." We began to walk outside. "Someone has been playing an intricate game and has made pawns of us. But once all these pieces are in position..."

"Triple Yahtzee?" Tony guessed.

"You think you can find out what's coming?" Steve asked.

"I do," Thor said. "Besides this one-" Thor smacked Tony's chest lightly "-there's nothing that can't be explained."

Thor raised his hammer into the air, and he was encased in a rainbow light before disappearing, leaving an Asgardian sigil burned into the grass. I sighed deeply. I wished I could go to Asgard.

"That man has no regard for lawn maintenance," Tony said. We turned away from the burning grass and began walking to the road. "I'm gonna miss him though. And you're gonna miss me. There's gonna be a lot of tears."

Tony clicked his keys and his car began driving forward to where we were standing.

"I will miss you, Tony," Steve said.

"I won't," I sighed.

Tony nudged me and I grinned.

"Yeah?" Tony asked. "Well, it's time for me to tap out. Maybe I should take a page out of Barton's book and build Pepper a farm, hope nobody blows it up."

"The simple life," Steve murmured.

"You'll get there one day," Tony assured.

Steve looked up to the new facility. I followed his line of sight to see Natasha standing on a balcony with her arms crossed, staring off into the distance.

"Yeah... maybe," Steve said softly.

I grinned widely. Tony grinned as well and got into his car before driving off.

"Wanna hear my advice?" I asked Steve.

"No, not really."

"You, me, right now," I said, cracking my knuckles. "I'm about to beat you into the ground."

Steve chuckled and we began walking back into the new compound.

"What is your advice, Y/n?" Steve asked.

I shrugged.

"Ask out my mom," I said. "I know you know she likes you, and I know she knows you like her, so cut the bullshit and get together already."

Steve cocked his head at me, and I covered my mouth.

"Oops, bad language word," I gasped.

Steve punched me lightly in the shoulder and I shoved him back. We walked to a room where Natasha was staring at the wall.

"You want to keep staring at the wall, or do you want to go to work?" Steve asked. Natasha turned around to face us. "I mean, it's a pretty interesting wall."

"I thought you and Tony were still gazing into each other's eyes," she said, walking over to us.

"I'd rather gaze into your eyes," Steve said.

I sighed. Kind of cute, I guess, but he'd need to try harder. Natasha smiled at him, and they stared at each other until I got bored and interrupted them.

"How do we look?" I asked.

Steve handed me a tablet and continued looking at Nat and I cleared my throat. It brought them both out of their trance-like state and we began walking to the main training room.

"Well, we're not the '27 Yankees," Steve said.

I handed Nat the tablet.

"We've got some hitters," Nat said.

"They're good. They're not a team," Steve replied.

"Let's beat 'em into shape," Natasha said with a grin.

We opened the doors to the training rooms. Rhodes flipped his helmet up and Vision turned around to face us. Wanda stopped using her powers to levitate and Sam flew down from the air. Pietro stopped running and threw a wink my way. I grinned at him happily.

"Avengers!" Steve called.

Question of the chapter: Would you rather live in the Avengers Tower or the Avengers Compound?

Answer of the chapter: It depends where everyone else is bahaha. I guess the tower would be better if I went to Midtown :) but if not I would probably choose the compound because it seems really cool.

What's your answer?