4 | New Mission

"All our work is gone," Bruce said. "Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch."

I sat on the floor of the lab, making things float in the air. It usually calmed me after a fight, but right now I was still stressed.

"He's been in everything," Natasha said, folding her arms across her chest. "Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

I doubted that. I knew quite a lot about this group of bandits. I knew Thor's favourite pop-tart flavour was strawberry, I knew the exact weight of Clint's bow, I knew that Natasha had a sister... the list went on.

"He's in your files, he's in the internet," Rhodes said. "What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?"

"Nuclear codes," Maria said at the same time I said, "Free coupons."

Everyone looked at me and I chucked in embarrassment.

"Nuclear codes," Rhodes said, getting back to the problem. "Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

The Avengers continued talking and I focused on my floating objects. I should have probably been listening, but I couldn't bring myself to.

"There wasn't anyone else in the building," Maria said, snapping me back to attention.

"Yes, there was," Tony said.

Tony flicked his hologram and a 3D visual representation of Jarvis appeared. He looked severely damaged.

"This is insane," Bruce said.

"Jarvis was the first line of defence," I said softly. "He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense."

"No, Ultron could've assimilated Jarvis," Bruce said, shaking his head. "This isn't strategy, this is...rage."

Suddenly, Thor barged into the room. He made a beeline straight for Tony and grabbed him by the throat and lifted him off of the ground.

"Come on," Tony choked. "Use your words, buddy."

I got energy shields ready to use.

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark," Thor growled.

"Thor!" Steve said. "The Legionnaire."

Thor dropped Tony and glanced to Steve.

"Trail went cold about a hundred miles out, but it's headed north, and it has the sceptre," Thor said. "Now we have to retrieve it, again."

"The genie's out of that bottle," Nat said. "Clear and present is Ultron."

"I don't understand," Helen said. "You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?"

Tony looked down at the bench and let out a laugh. Bruce subtly shook his head at him to get him to stop.

"You think this is funny?" Thor asked angrily.

"No. It's probably not, right? Is this very terrible? Is it so... is it so... it is," Tony said, laughing again. "It's so terrible."

The Avengers started arguing again and I shut it out. I really didn't want to listen to that.

"Anybody remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?" Tony asked loudly.

I rolled my eyes.

"No, it's never come up," Rhodes said.

"Saved New York?" Tony asked.

"Never heard that," I muttered.

"Recall that?" Tony asked. "A hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space. We're standing three hundred feet below it. We're the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers all the live long day, but that up there? That's... that's the end game. How were you guys planning on beating that?"

"Together," Steve said.

Tony was silent for a moment.

"We'll lose," he said quietly.

"Then we'll do that together, too," Steve said.

Tony looked at Steve for a moment before turning away.

"You'd better get some rest, Y/n," Tony said. "If we find anything, we'll let you know."

I glanced to all of the Avengers before nodding and heading to bed. I tried to sleep, but my head was filled with the thoughts of Ultron and the Maximoff's. We now had two enemies trying to get to us. I just hoped that everything would be okay.

Natasha shook me awake later that morning.

"Hey, N/n," Natasha said softly. "We need your help. And Steve made breakfast."

I got up and out of bed. Natasha left the room and I put of a pair of leggings and a shirt that was definitely not mine. In this big tower, it was easy to snatch other people's clothes. What can I say? Men's clothing is comfier. 

I walked down to the labs where everyone was eating and looking through papers.

"Please, no, not the files," I said in horror.

"Sit your ass down and help us read," Clint said, taking a bite out of a breakfast burrito.

"Bad language word!" I yelled.

Steve looked like he was ready to fight me, and I grinned before sitting down and looking through the papers. Nat handed me my breakfast and I thanked her before continuing to read.

"Wait, what are we looking for?" I asked, my mouth full of food.

"Anything on Strucker," Steve replied.

I cocked my head.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because Ultron killed him," Clint said. "We reckon it's because he knew something we didn't."

I nodded slowly before I had an idea.

"If we're going to fight him, and need information on Strucker, maybe we could try to find the Maximoff-"

"Even if we had enough time for that, it would be useless," Maria said. "Ultron went to the twins first."

My body sagged in disappointment, and I continued looking through the files.

"Wait, I know that guy," Tony said, pointing at a photo Bruce was holding. "From back in the day. He operates off the African coast, black market arms." Steve gave Tony an accusing look. "There are conventions, alright? You meet people, I didn't sell him anything. He was talking about finding something new, a game changer, it was all very 'Ahab.'"

I stood up and looked at the file. The man was called Ulysses Klaue. Thor pointed to a scar on the back of Klaue's neck.

"What's this?" he asked.

"Uh, it's a tattoo. I don't think he had it," Tony said.

"No, those are tattoos, this is a brand," Thor said.

"Oh, yeah," Bruce said from one of the computers. "It's a word in an African dialect meaning thief, in a much less friendly way."

I grinned as I thought of all of the less friendly ways to say thief.

"What dialect?" Steve asked.

Bruce looked back to the computer.

"Wakanada...? Wa...Wa...Wakanda," Bruce said.

Tony and Steve exchanged a look.

"If this guy got out of Wakanda with some of their trade goods..." Tony said.

"I thought your father said he got the last of it?" Steve said back.

"Stop right there. I do not follow. What comes out of Wakanda?" I asked.

Tony looked to Steve's shield.

"The strongest metal on earth," Tony said.

"Where is this guy now?"