9 | The First Wave

"Ultron knows we're coming," Steve said. "Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out."

I nodded slowly. Wanda and Pietro volunteered, seeing as they'd lived in Sokovia and spoke the language, and the Sokovians trusted them.

"All they want is to live their lives in peace, and that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done and find out what Ultron's been building. We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters and we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right."

I cracked my neck and stood up.

"Let's prove that pain in the ass wrong," I said.

"Ah! Bad language word!" Tony said.

I grinned as Steve face palmed.

We all got out of the jet. Pietro sped off to the Sokovian police station, and Wanda used her magic to make people evacuate. Bruce went off to find Natasha, and Thor, Vision, and Tony went off to find whatever Ultron was doing.

I stayed with Steve and helped civilians out of the city. I stood near the bridge and helped civilians along.

I was helping an elderly man across the bridge when a robot appeared and shot straight at me. I created a forcefield to protect myself and the man, and the beam bounced off and hit the robot. Hundreds of robots began to appear, flying towards us and climbing out of the floor.

I tore some of the robots apart by setting their gravitational pulls to three different places. I used electric batons to disable the robots and shot a few in the head. I also protected the civilians with forcefields.

I stumbled as the ground below me began to rumble. The bridge began to split in half as the city began to rise.

"What's going on?" I yelled into the comms, whacking a robot with a baton.

"Friday?" Tony asked.

"Sokovia's going for a ride," she replied.

The city continued to rise into the sky.

"Do you see?" Ultron asked. I killed the bot that was speaking but another took its place. "The beauty of it, the inevitability. You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword and the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."

Tony spoke to Friday trying to figure out how to stop the city from falling and killing everybody, and I fought against the robots. I used my powers against them and my weapons, and eventually I strayed away from Steve.

Four robots surrounded me. I got ready to attack when they were all destroyed in a blue blur. Pietro stopped to grin at me.

"I had that covered," I said.

Pietro cocked his head.

"You know, most people would say 'thank you,'" he said with a grin.

"Alright, you two, stop flirting," Clint said. "We have a mission here."

Pietro grinned at me one last time before running off, and I made my way back to Steve. He opened his mouth, and I shook my head.

"Yeah, yeah, I know, stay with an adult," I sighed.

Steve smiled at me before bashing a robot in the head. Another robot flew into Steve and pushed him into a car. I shot it down as it tried to fly away.