3 | Interrupted Party

I walked into the party and tugged at the hem of my blue dress. It was very pretty and was the same colour as my powers. I scanned the crowd for my family and spotted them all easily. Nat and Rhodes were talking, Thor was chatting with a big group on a couch, Clint was talking to Helen, Bruce was at the bar getting a drink, and Steve and Sam were playing pool.

I walked over to Natasha who pulled me into a side hug.

"Oh, Rhodey, you should have seen the energy blast my little girl did today," Natasha said. "She destroyed an entire bunker."

"And several surrounding trees," I sighed. "I know, I'm bad for the environment."

Rhodes chuckled and congratulated me. All the Avengers knew that I struggled with the energy blast side of my powers. In my defence, it was hard to do, and I couldn't exactly practice in my spare time seeing as I would blow something up, and everything here was very expensive.

The party continued, and eventually I was listening in to a War Machine story with Thor and Tony.

"Well, you know, the suit can take the weight, right?" Rhodes said. "So, I take the tank, fly it right up to the General's palace, drop it at his feet, I'm like, 'Boom! You looking for this?'"

We all stared at him blankly.

"'Boom! Are you looking...' Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else that story kills," Rhodes grumbled.

"That's the whole story?" Thor asked in surprise.

"Yeah," Rhodes said. "It's a War Machine story."

"Oh, it's very good then," Thor said, chuckling. "Very impressive."

Thor took a sip of his drink and Rhodes just stared at him in disappointment.

"Quality save," I mumbled.

Thor nudged me and Rhodes shook his head.

"So... no Pepper? She's not coming?" Rhodes asked.

"No," Tony said, shaking his head.

"Hey, what about Jane?" Maria asked joining the conversation. She winked at me, and I grinned back. "Where are the ladies, gentlemen?"

"Well, Miss Potts has a company to run," Tony said proudly.

"Yes, I'm not even sure what country Jane's in," Thor said. "Her work on the convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer."

I rolled my eyes. I knew what was about to happen, so I excused myself and went out onto the balcony for some fresh air.

I looked out at the sparkling lights of the city. It was a pretty sight from this high up. My mind wandered until it landed on the Maximoff twins.

They signed up for the experiments. I supposed I understood; they thought they were going to change the world. The only problem was that Hydra planned to change the world in a bad way.

Their powers were like nothing I'd ever seen before. Pietro's speed was definitely a new element. Sure, Steve and Thor were fast, but Pietro was a real speedster.

And Wanda. Her powers were unique. Her red magic intrigued me. It lifted me into the air and smashed me against a wall (I still had a bruise), and she barely broke a sweat doing it. And if what Maria said what true, she was also a telepath.

"Hey, kiddo."

I turned around to see Clint leaning against the door opening.

"Hey, Clint," I said, leaning back against the balcony railing.