Chapter 23

#war2wp

Chapter 23

Contact

"I bumped into Brylee that same year," I mumbled, tucking some of my hair behind my ear, sipping on my cortado, glancing up at Jourdaine.

She leaned on the table, staring back at me, her eyebrows raised. "And?" she asks.

Natahimik ako nang kaunti. Hindi ko alam kung pa'no ko ba sisimulan o dudugtungan ang sinabi ko. I feel slightly hesitant because I want to use the best words so it wouldn't come off as offensive.

I tucked my hair behind my ear once more, glanced at my cup of coffee, and brought my eyes back to Jourdaine who looks like she already knows what happened. She looks disappointed in me. I am too.

Because there are things that I did before that I shouldn't have. All because I thought it's what's better. But the thing is, sometimes, we do things that we think are helpful but in truth, are worthless. 

"Jourdaine, have you ever done something you don't want to?" I asked instead. 

"Of course."

"What did it feel like?"

"Awful," she says as she shrugs, looking at her drink. Dahil sa pagbaba n'ya ng tingin, nakita ko ang ganda ng eye makeup n'ya---the strong winged liner and the subtly smoked eye shadow. "How about you?" she asks even though she already knows what the answer is.

"Yeah," mahina ang boses na sagot ko, ibinababa ang tingin sa baso ng kapeng hindi ko pa nauubos.

It was that same year when I bumped into Brylee again. She had long hair with soft curls and highlights. Balayage, like mine. Gone was her thick jet-black hair I really admired when I saw her last year. She was 18 that year. Dalaga na. She no longer had the chubby cheeks I used to love when she was little. She's beautiful. 

Kasama ko noon si Gema. Maglilibot sana kami sa mall ng araw na 'yon nang makasalubong ko si Brylee. She was holding a couple of paper bags from two famous luxury brands. Nakasoot sa mga braso n'ya ang strap ng mga paperbags.

When she saw me, we immediately hugged each other and I told her I missed her.

She stared at me and smiled. I noticed how she's different from the last time I saw her. Her style now is different from her chic style before but somehow managed to still be herself. And I like this style on her. It's more mature yet I love how she's exploring more styles for herself. 

"Ako rin," Brylee said before she looked at who I was with. She smiled at Gema too.

"Where are you headed now?" I ask her and I brought my gaze down to her bags. "Are you done shopping?"

"Ah. . .actually, I'm about to eat lunch na, Ate," Brylee chuckled and I smiled at her.

"Gano'n ba? Eat with us. My treat." Excited akong ngumiti kay Brylee. I reached her hand and squeezed it. "It's been months since we last talked."

Her gaze fell to my hands and she nodded before we headed straight to a famous restaurant. 

In the middle of our lunch, Gema said that something came up and she had to leave so I was left with Brylee. 

"I took Home Economics, ate," ngiti ni Brylee sa 'kin. "I plan to take Tourism in college."

Namamangha akong tumango. "It suits you."

"Thanks." She smiled. "How about you?"

"I'm studying communications," I said. 

"Oh, wow," ani Brylee at pinagmasdan ako nang mabuti.