nineteen

the teens slowly piled out of the bus, grimacing as they took in the motel coach had arranged for them to stay the night at.

scott looked around at the scummy building before nodding. "i've seen worse."

stiles gaped at his friend. "where have you seen worse?"

"derek's makeshift abandoned subway station home," hannah answered, raising her hands in defense when stiles glared at her. "what? you're the one who asked."

coach blew his whistle, making everyone gather around him. "listen up, the meet's been pushed till tomorrow," he called out. "this is the closest motel with the most vacancies and least amount of good judgement when it comes to accepting a bunch of degenerates like yourselves. kaldwell, i'm looking at you."

the girl simply shrugged. "fair enough."

"you'll be pairing up. choose wisely."

isaac looked down to grin at hannah.

"and i'll have no sexual perversions perpetrated by you little deviants!" coach turned to look at the two. "got that? keep your dirty little hands to your dirty little selves?"

"coach, whatever do you mean?" hannah asked sweetly, making a small pout.

"you," the man pointed a trembling finger accusingly at her. "you scare me."

isaac gave hannah a quick peck before walking over to boyd who had already grabbed a key.

"you can room with us," allison offered. "that is, if you want to?"

"sure," the brunette smiled. "i don't see why not."

the two moved to walk towards the hotel when they realized a certain strawberry blonde was missing.

"lydia?"

"i don't like this place," the girl murmured.

allison scoffed. "i don't think the people who own this place like this place," she chuckled. "it's just for a night."

lydia continued to stare in fright at the building. "a lot can happen in one night."

"oh no, i know that look," hannah stepped towards the girl. "that's your scary something-bad-is-going-to-happen look."

"i have that look?"

"yes, you have that look."

"i don't know. it's just," she stared at the flickering light of the motel sign. "something about this place makes me want to scream."

...

"you know smoking kills you, right?"

hannah pulled the cigarette from her lips, blowing out smoke before turning to the girl who'd sidled up beside her. "i'm a werewolf," hannah shrugged. "i'll just heal."

"it's still disgusting," lydia scrunched up her nose as she watched hannah take another drag from the cancer stick.

"true," hannah replied, leaning on the railing of the balcony.

"then why do you do it?"

"it calms my nerves— takes the edge off," hannah said. "a small ten second buzz, burning my lungs only for them to heal in a mere minutes."

lydia nodded thoughtfully, inching closer to the girl. "may i?"

"i thought you said it was disgusting?" hannah smirked.

"and i still think it is," she replied cooly. "doesn't mean i can't still try."

hannah gave the girl a small grin, handing her the lit cigarette. she watched in amusement as lydia took a long pull before abruptly coughing.