Recipe 4

I heard this wonderful creature patter inside my room long before I opened my eyes. Grinning inwardly I waited for it to make a move. I felt the foot of my bed dip lightly as it slowly wiggled and crawled its way underneath the blanket towards me.

“Lissy” a voice whispered; in an adorable tone only a ten year old could do perfectly.

‘Lissy, wake up” she said as she begin smothering my face with kisses. I continued feigning that I was still sleeping and I felt my little sister snuggle in my neck. She sighed contently, burying her face in my hair as she loved smelling me, saying that I smell like chocolate.

“Lissy!” Emily shouts a bit louder now as I continue pretending. Opening just a tiny slit of my eyes I saw Emily pouting charmingly. Tensing up my muscles while managing to stay limp and relax, I'm waiting for my moment.

“Liss… ahhhhh!!” Emily’s shrieks turned to fits of giggles as I pounced on her and began blowing bubbles on her exposed stomach.

Tired, Emily and I lay in heap on my bed both of us breathing hard with our daily morning ritual. I hear someone chuckling in the doorway and find Dad standing there wearing his usual blue and black pajamas. Mischievously Emily picked up a small pillow and for a ten year old she aims true, as the pillow hits Dad dead center on his forehead. The stunned look on our father’s face sends both of us laughing feverishly. Suddenly Dad let out a lion-like roar that silences Emily immediately, a panicky look appears on her face. Seeing the devious glint on Dad’s eyes made me bite my lip too prevent the laughter that was about to burst from me.

“Lissy!!” Emily screamed hysterically as she began to run away but Dad scooped her up and playfully and threw her back down to my bed. Soon Emily is laughing and screaming as Dad began tickling her stomach and feet. From the corner of my eye I saw Mom leaning in the doorway on her nightgown, smiling indulgently at us. Feeling mischievous as Emily, I pick a purple silk-covered pillow and with a flick of my hand I chuck it at Mom, hitting her in the chest.

Uh Oh! Bad move.

I saw the evil look in Mom’s eyes as she slowly picked up the pillow from the floor. Of all things that I could have forgotten why did I have to forget that Mom was a world-class archer. Turning around and looking for a place to hide, I began to run but I only manage to take three strides before something hit me on the back of my head. Looking back I saw Mom pick up another stray pillow and threw it towards me. With deadly accuracy the pillow hit me square on the face.

No way!

THIS.IS.WAR!

Soon my room is filled with hysterical screams, loud shouts and muffled groans as the four of us join in a four-way pillow fight.

It seems like eternity has passed before my room becomes quiet again. Lying in a heap in the center of my spacious bedroom surrounded by my blanket and comforter with feathers floating all around from a torn pillow

We begin to laugh again when we see the goofy, tired look on each other’s face.

Sighing contently to myself I thanked whatever force that gifted me to have this wonderful family. 

“Okay! Princesses! Time to get up now. The king is in need of his royal breakfast” Dad said as he slowly stood up with Emily lying limply in his arms. Helping my mother up, Dad kisses my head as he heads toward the door.

 “Good Morning to you Princess Royal”

 “Morning Dad” I said as I kiss his cheek.

 “Breakfast in an hour!” he shouts back as he disappeared around the door.

 “Good Morning, Lissy!”

I heard Emily shout faintly, running outside my door I saw them as they round around the corner of the hallway.

“Morning Emily!” I shout back.

Walking back I saw Mom picking up my blanket and pillows. Picking up as much pillows as I can, I walk towards her.

“Good Morning Mom” I hug her tightly, inhaling the comforting smell of cinnamon, rose and something that is uniquely Mom’s.

“Morning, sweetie” she replied kissing me on the forehead.

“You go and get ready. I'll stay here to fix this” she said referring to the messy room.

“Okay” I laughed as I headed towards my bathroom.

Opening the door, a small purple light that I keep on at night barely illuminates my large bathroom area. Suppressing a shudder I flip the other lights on, instantly the room brightens exposing a spacious bathroom complete with a blue marble bathtub and adjacent shower area. Stepping inside the room I took a moment to watch the purple light turn itself off slowly as its built-in automatic timer detects the brightness of the bigger lights.

Countless lighting fixtures, automatic timers, motion sensors and back-up lights were scattered all around our home. My parents were dead serious when they promised me that there would never be darkness in the house.

After taking off my pajamas and putting it on the laundry bin I began to comb my thick wavy hair.  I was having some difficulty in combing the ends of my hair as it reached way past my waist; I heard the distinct click of my door signaling that Mom left my room. Looking at myself in the floor-to-ceiling mirror my eyes fell to the necklace hanging on my neck. Momentarily fingering the soft leather cord, my fingers slide down toward the small crescent-shaped pendant.

Turning the object on my hand I realize than it’s been in my possession for more or less than six years but the beauty and uniqueness of this simple pendant never ceases to amaze me.

Visually the pendant look like a shiny pendent carved from wood, the rings and grains are clearly visible on its surface but physically it’s a rock, a solid and hard rock similar to marbles but what’s interesting with this pendant is it has a smell. It has a faint smell of pine and wildflowers on it along with some undistinguishable spicy odour. Unusual in every way this tiny brown pendant probably saves my life from total destruction.

I remember the circumstances on how I received this necklace.

In the year that followed my nightmare attack, my parents become more worried with my physical and mental health as I refused to sleep alone in any room especially without Emily by my side. From that day onwards, my family and I slept together in a single bed. But the horrors of that night had already damaged me. I jumped at any shadows I saw, freeze at the sight of dark corners and crevices and I cower around people.

My father saw this and feared that my sanity would snap at any moment. He sold our extravagant mansion and left the gloomy country of Wales behind, leaving the memories of the place that haunted me but, the creatures of the night never ceased to follow and torment me.

 I know they will never leave.

I know.

*WRITER'S NOTE*

YEAH i know pretty boring ending! *sigh* but i did it so the chapter do not have so much pages in it.. the next recipe will be more exciting!

If you like my work comment and vote for it.

It will inspire me to write more..

again.. a big THANK YOU!

-ivory XD