Stupid stairs

I continued sprinting, until I reached the stairs. Just the thought of them made me want to cry.
I looked up at the towering structure. Attempting to spot at least a silhouette at the top, to confirm my theory. But it was too tall, and the sky was too bright to see all the way.
"Please let Mattheo be up there." I begged under my breath before quickly making my way up the endless staircase. This time going as fast as I could. Just over half way up, I could barely breathe, but there was no time to waste. I assumed the staff was stalling the best they could, waiting for my return, with Mattheo.
I huffed with exhaustion, not stopping for a second. I was so determined, I didn't even notice the nosy shadows tailing me.
I finally arrived at the top of the stairs. I was surprised with myself, there had to be some kind of record time that I just broke.
At first, the floor appeared empty for some reason I didn't think to take a look around. I was about to let out a scream of frustration, but I was out of breath. I put my hands on my knees, and tried to catch my breath.
"Shit!" I said as I slammed my hand on the wall next to me.
"Y/n?" I heard Mattheo's voice ask me. I spun around. He stood there watching me.
"Oh... thank... god..." I said in between huffs.
"What are you doing here." He asked, slightly annoyed.
"Are you aware that you have somewhere to be right now?" I asked sarcastically.
"I'm not doing it Y/n." He said stubbornly.
"What?"
"I can't believe that you're on their side. I didn't even want to do this in the first place!" He argued, his voice growing louder with each word.
"You want me to do this?! Do you have any idea how dangerous these things are.Everyone keeps asking me if I'm scared. Of course I'm fucking scared!" He yelled.
"I know you're scared. I'm scared! I don't want you to do this at all!" I yelled back, and got closer to him, calming him down. "But we don't really have a choice. Do we? So you're just going to suck it up, and do your best." I told him, as I held both of his hands in mine.
"I can't." He whispered to me.
"You can, and you will." I said softly. "For me?" I asked, and gave him a sympathetic smile.
There was a quiet moment, then he let out a shaky breath and agreed.
"Ok."
I leaned in and pressed my lips into his.
Then we pulled apart, but kept our faces close. I wrapped my arms around him, and put our foreheads together. He put his arms around my waist, and pulled me closer, holding me tightly.
"You'll be fine. I promise." I told him. We stayed like that for a few seconds, but we're interrupted by the flash of a camera.
We both let go and turned to see Rita and her camera man, staring at the two of us.
"How adorable." She commented. "Young love at it's purest. Star crossed lovers." She purred. "This will make a great story!" The woman cheered. "The boy, in danger. Like a soldier going to war. The girl, longing, worried." She thought aloud, as a levitating note pad, and feather with ink took notes.
Mattheo and I looked at one another.
"You can't put that in your story." I told her.
She looked at me smugly.
"Why is that?" She chirped.
"It's- it's private." I defended.
"Well without a proper reason as to why I cannot write about the two of you, I can do as I please." She said before scurrying away. Obviously avoiding us, as there were many reasons as to why she wasn't allowed to write about us in her news paper without our permission;
For example, ITS ILLEGAL.
"Wait!" Mattheo called out to her, but when he looked down the stairs, she had disappeared.
"She's gone." He stated the obvious.
I let out a sigh.
"We'll deal with that later. We have bigger problems." I told him, gripping his arm and leading him down the stairs.
We finally go to Professor McGonagall.
"At last." She said. "Mr Riddle, they are awaiting your arrival, get ready, be quick." She ordered coldly. Almost shoving Mattheo into the tent. He sent me a concerned look over his shoulder, and I sent him a reassuring nod, and a fake smile in return. In truth, I was nearly as nervous as he was.