27: The Run Down

Ryan's POV

~~~

"Okay bud, run us through it just one more time. I know it's hard so you can take your time."

My back presses hard against the metal-backed chair, adsorbing all my weight. I put my hands on the table again, knowing I'm actually doing the right thing for once. "I don't mind. Luke has been involved within a pretty high ranked gang-well I'll say 'group' since he didn't name it but they definitely have the resources to have a good name. But yeah I'll run it through again. Where do you need me to start?"

"Can you start from when he first approached you? We want this solved as soon as possible so you can spend Christmas safe at home."

I sigh, closing my eyes in pain. "Yeah, I can do that." I rub my busted lip and pull out a mini Vaseline to help heal it better. Dani wouldn't like seeing me like this.

Luke had first appeared at my door not long after the televised fight Caster had. The door bell rang, followed by two loud knocks, loud enough that even my on-the-brink-of-deaf aunt heard them. "Ryan!? Who's at the door?"

Her voice reverberated through the floorboards and I groaned as I went down the stairs. The door bell rang once more and I yell agitated. "I'm coming - god dammit chill out." Finally making it to the foot of the staircase and doorway, I swing it open revealing an aged familiar face. "Luke?"

He grins, his teeth as white as ever. His once average -Joe hair now buzzed down to stubble, either for aesthetics or balding perhaps. His piercing green eyes were duller than I remembered but I was only a kid. His stocky tall frame almost filled the entrance into the house in width and height. I knew he was tall but even me now reaching my potential max height, he still looms well over me. His face was imprinted with forehead lines, the line between his brows, and his beard covered the rest of the age on his face. The man who should be only around 35 years old now looked well into his 40s. What the - "How's it going kiddo?"

"Wh-what are you doing here? Why are you here?" I stammer and analyze him further to his attire. Full black head to toe. He wore a thick black trench coat buttoned up to his chest, where a grey and black scarf covered anything not protected by his beard. Down to black dress pants and clearly expensive black leather dress shoes. His hands covered in gold rings and a gold watch with a cream white face. Was that a fucking Rolex... 

He takes a step into our home unbothered. "Here to visit ya. I happened to actually be in the area for once. I never tend to be up this far north and I couldn't take time off."

"But it's been years since I last saw you...what the fuck dude."

He continues to make his way into the home but Auntie Danielle begins walking in. "Who was it?" She pauses analyzing Luke. "Lucas. What are you doing here?"

Amazed at knowing who it was without as much as his breathing, he answers her, "Danielle, I just came by to visit the kid. It has been years and I wanted to see how's he doing."

"He's doing just fine without you or my sister."

"How 'bout good ol' dad?" he mused.

Dani grinds her teeth; I can't remember the last time I've ever seen her so angry. "He doesn't matter in Ryan's life either. I think it'd be best if you leave." She leans against a wall, grabbing her shot gun. "My aim isn't perfect but I can still do damage."

I could hear a near silent gulp from Luke. "Come on, Dani he's just vis-"

He puts his hand up stopping me. "No worries, she isn't wrong. I'll head out." As he backs up with his arms in the air defensively. He leans in just enough to whisper to me, "Check your car passenger seat." He walks down the sidewalk and into the a black Mercedes AMG. My jaw drops not realizing the luxury car sitting there.