Faking It

"What is it Dad? "

"Gulf, you have to show around our Chicago clients."

"The Pearsons? "

"Yes, their flight will land here on Saturday. "

"Okay, so what will it entail? "

"I'll forward you all the details. They are going to invest in our hotelier business. Presentation will be handled by Mr. Edward. You just have to accompany him. I want you to learn as much as you can."

"Okay Dad. I'll start working on it."

"Good son. I'm counting on you. How is it going at school? "

"It's fine. "

"Anyone giving you hard time? "

"No dad, it's all sorted out now. "

"If they dare to, let me know. I'll show them how we Kanawut handle things."

"Dad, chill. It's all okay. "

"Don't keep it inside, Gulfie. We are always there for you. Just let us know and we will have your back. " His mom said lovingly.

"Thanks Mom. Love you both. Going to bed. Good night. "

Gulf showered and went to bed. His phone rang around midnight waking him up.

"Hello? " Gulf asked in groggy voice.

"Gulf? "

"Mew? Is that you? "

"Yes. I need to talk to you. "

"What is it? Are you okay? Did something happen? "

"No, I'm fine it's just.... I have something to tell you. "

"Is it important?  I mean it's quite late."

"Yes, it is or else I wouldn't be calling you. "

"Fine, what is it? "

"I need you to do something for me. "

"What? "

"Marry me. "

"WHAT? "

"Gulf, it's important. "

"Are you drunk?  In case you forget let me remind you that you kinda humiliated me today. "

"I'm sorry for that. I was in bad mood."

"Mew, what's going on? You said you didn't like me so why should I marry you? Why do you even want to get married now? We are in college. "

"I can't explain this but it is very important. Just trust me. "

"Do you really expect me to do that? " Gulf asked incredulously.

"Gulf, you love me so what's the problem? "

"Gosh, you really are something. Are you trying to imply that you are doing me a favor? "

"I didn't mean that. I'm sorry. It's important. "

"Okay, now tell me why is it important? "

"I can't tell you that. "

"You expect me to marry you when you don't like me without any explanation?  That's insane. "

"I need to marry you. As for the reason I'll tell you but not right now. "

"When?  I won't even think about this until I know the entire situation. "

"Fine, I'll tell you everything tomorrow. Let's meet at cafe. "

"Okay."

Now sleep was the last thing on Gulf's mind. It was the bizarre situation he had got himself into. Marry Mew? He couldn't even imagine that. After morning's conversation he didn't even want to talk to him. How can he shamelessly demand Gulf to marry him. It irked him to no extent.

Next day, Gulf was waiting in the cafe. Mew arrived and quickly ordered for latte.

"So what is it all abou? "

"Gulf, I'm sorry for my inappropriate behavior yesterday. I must have startled you. I meant fake engagement not getting actually married. "

"Okay, so why this fake engagement? "

"You know the Salavator family? "

"Yeah, I have heard of them. "

"I did business with them and their daughter is kinda clinging on me. "

"Okay? "

"I mean that she likes me but I'm not interested in her at all. I have tried to explain this to her numerous times but she doesn't get it. She thinks I'm playing hard to get. So in heat of moment I said I was gay and of course she didn't believe me so I told her I'm planning to get married to my bf. "

"Where do I come in all this? "

"I took your name. " Mew admitted guiltily.

"And why the hell did you do that? "

"I couldn't just make up a person."

"You should have made some other excuse. This is ridiculous. "

"I know. It was utterly stupid of me. But I couldn't upset her either. The business between our companies matter a lot and I know her, she wouldn't back off until she is completely sure I'm with someone else."

"She sounds weird. She should just accept the rejection. Why cling like that? "

"I know that but I'm in a fix and I need your help."

"Look Mew, it's too much. It's not a small matter. It would involve our families. "

"No, we won't let our families know. "

"Then how will she believe it?"

"My parents live in Canada. Wayo already knows what's going on."

"Who runs your business? I thought your Dad lived here. "

"Nah, most of things are handles from there and our regional manager and Dad's friend handle the rest."

"Oh, what about my family? "

"Can't you just make up something? I mean we won't hold an actual marriage ceremony or anything. Just few dates in front of her and stuff like that. "

"How long will it go on? "

"I'm not sure. Couple of months. "

"Mew, still I think it is a bad idea. "

"I understand your concerns, Gulf. I'm really sorry that I'm asking you to do this. But it's really important. "

"Give me time to think. "

"Okay, sure. I'll let you think it over."

"Can I tell Tine about this? "

"Sure. Sarawat also knows. But no one else. "

Gulf was going to Tine's house. He needed his advice right now. He wasn't sure how to feel. He was little happy but it's all fake. He hopes it doesn't turn out ugly in the end.