Chapter 16

The moment that Lena disconnected her end of the call, Sam and Alex scoff at the same time, rolling their eyes.

"Does Lena always do that?" Alex asks.

"You should see her on a conference call with L-Corp. It definitely could have been worse." Sam pauses, "What do you think happened?"

"I don't know. I don't know what could've happened that would involve the police and upset Kara so much to have to take a day off. She hasn't done this since-"

"Since what?"

"Nevermind. It's nothing," Alex shakes her head, as if she is convincing herself.
Sam watches her carefully and decides to drop it for now. "I'm sure Lee will tell us when she can. Or maybe she is waiting for Kara to be able to tell us herself."

An awkward silence fills the line. It's been so long since they have seen each others' faces or talked to each other. Alex panics and just blurts out, "So how've you been?"

Sam smiles, a bit sadly, "I'm doing okay. How have you been?"

"I've been doing okay. How's Ruby? Has she picked a college yet? She must be so excited for graduation."

"Ruby's great. She's so excited. She actually just picked a couple days ago. Turns out, she is choosing NCU."

Alex lights up, "Really?! That's so great! That's where Kara and I both went. It's a great school, Sam. Plus, if you are ever worried about her or if she needs anything, she will always have Lena, Kara and I in her corner."

"Thanks, Al. That's very sweet of you," Sam says softly.

Alex smiles at the new nickname, but it falters at the morose tone. "I- I'm sorry if I've been texting too much. I- I should've taken the hint, respecting your boundaries."

"Hey, hey, hey." Sam's eyebrows furrow. "Never apologize for reaching out. I should be apologizing for not responding and being more present. Things have been nuts lately, and I'm trying to spend time with Ruby before she leaves the nest. Anyways, babygirl, I love and appreciate your texts. Please don't stop sending them."

Alex blushes and can't look at Sam directly. "Okay," she says with a small voice.

"Honestly, I just find it hard to believe," Sam says with a sigh.

"Hard to believe what?"

"That you're interested - still. I'm not exactly great dating material. I work crazy hours. I have a kid. We live on opposite coasts. I was kind of expecting you to just... move on."

"Sam! I can't just move on from you. You are so witty, charming, flirty and confident, badass, and successful. You are the perfect woman. To be fair with being honest, I don't think I'll ever get over you. You'll always be the one that got away," Alex finishes glumly. Sam sniffles over the phone. "Shit, and now I've made you cry. I- I'm sorry, Sam. I'll just hang up."

"Don't. You. Dare." Sam uses her own boardroom tone as tries to pull herself together. "Just give me a moment."

Alex freezes, a tiny bit afraid of what will happen if she doesn't listen to the goddess on the other end of the line. When Sam finally clears her throat to speak, she has Alex's full attention. "First of all, you never, ever talk a woman up so well that it sends her reeling, then threaten to hang up. Secondly, I- I guess I didn't realize that you felt that way. We were always so flirty that we never really did talk about it substantially. I- I just never imagined that you would want me like that. I figured once we got past the flirting and banter that it would just fizzle out. I'm sorry if I hurt you, Alex."

This time, Alex is sniffling. "You're an amazing woman, Sam. I'd be a fool to let you go. I meant it when I said that I would be willing to give us a go. I don't care about distance. Well, I do, but that's not going to stop me."