Chapter 12

Kara just smiles shyly. "Then, we both just have reasons to be grateful. Sleep well, Lena."

"Goodnight. See you in the morning," Lena says with a soft smile.

Lena heads back to her bedroom at the end of the hall. She can hear Kara shifting around on the couch to get comfortable as she shuts her door. She goes through her nighttime routine, except now, she tries to practice the techniques from Kelly. Lena thinks over the day, and she tries to reflect on her meaningful interactions. The CEO is delightfully surprised to find the positives flowing easily and readily. As scared as she was with the motorcycle race, it felt good. It made her feel like a kid again. Lena smiles to herself at remembering Kara twirling her like she weighed nothing.

After Lena finishes brushing her teeth, she crawls into her bed thinking about the dinner. She tries to keep her mind out of the gutter as she thinks of Kara in that suit. She is happy that her and Sam pushed their comfort levels to spoil them a bit at the restaurant.

Lena, good to see you again. I believe we have some unfinished business to attend to.

Lena shudders at hearing Edge's voice in her mind. She reminds herself to focus, focus on the positives. Kara and Alex were cute hiding behind the menus, as if it blocked their conversation off from her and Sam.

The next time you are out and we cross paths, you better watch yourself.

Lena feels her eyes well up with tears. She knows the end of that threat. Her mind takes her back to that first night with Edge and Lord. She had felt so weak and powerless and full of shame. She shakes her head as if to expel the negative thoughts. Positive interactions, positive interactions, positive interactions. Lena remembers the feel of Kara holding her hand and soothingly rubbing it with her thumb.

Because now... you have all of my attention.

Lena sobs out. She can practically smell Edge's cheap cologne and feel his chubby hands on her. She darts out of bed as if he was there with her. Lena tries her hardest to refocus, but she can just hear Edge whispering in her head. She deserves it. She should have been more careful. There is nothing she will be able to do to stop him in the future. No matter what she does to avoid him, he always finds her. Lena stumbles into the hallway. She knows she needs something. Her brain cannot let go of the thought that she isn't worth anyone's attention or affection.

The moment that her eyes land on Kara's sleeping figure, the thoughts stop. She gasps and covers her mouth to contain her cries. Kara. Kara is the good thing. Kara thinks she is worth it. Kara doesn't blame her.
Kara shuffles on the couch, stretching slightly. Ever so slowly, Kara locks eyes with her. Lena lets out a stifled sob at the amount of concern she can see in Kara's eyes.

"Lee, babe. What's wrong? Are you alright?" Kara asks with a groggy voice. She practically falls off the couch trying to get up.

Lena huddles up to the wall and slowly sinks to the floor. The sheer strength and whiplash of emotions freezes her to that spot. Before she knows it, she can feel strong arms shifting her around. She just melts like putty.

Kara easily maneuvers them so Lena is in her lap, head buried in her chest. Kara whispers, "Can you hear me, hun? Are you with me?"

Lena manages to nod. She moves to cuddle closer. She moves to straddle Kara and mold their bodies together. Lena grasps at Kara's back, desperate to make sure she is real.

Kara sways them slightly and hums in Lena's ear. With how close they are, Kara can feel how fast Lena's heart is racing. The blonde feels for the young CEO. She's been dealt a rough life. Kara doubts that she has had that many supportive people in her life. And while Kara promised to follow Lena's lead, she can't help but ache to be there for her all of the time. Kara's not sure how long they have been sitting like that, but she mumbles to Lena that she is going to take them to bed after noticing Lena's heart rate slow back down.