t w e n t y

✿

E s m é r a l d a    A l b y

Mrs. Pearson was shy of a heart attack.

"So you serve the Prince now?"

"Sir Emmett appointed me."

"Oh, he knows nothing." He knew enough. "I do not believe it would be wise to put Prince Aedric through your incapabilities. No, you are to pack your things. You have infuriated Lady Celeste enough. If that happens with the prince, I will lose my job."

I glanced over at the other 26 handmaidens with me, one new for Lady Celeste. They were whispering, sometimes snickering, their eyes on me. I tightened my fist, and stayed quiet. Charlotte was on the verge of biting her nails to their roots. She didn't want me fired. I didn't want me fired.

"I will be careful, Mrs. Pearson. I assure you there will be no—"

She stood up from her chair. "You have assured me enough, Miss Louth. You are not officially hired, but I have your father's permission and letter of acceptance discarded. You are to leave now."

When I planted a kiss to Aedric's forehead yesterday, he kept staring at me like I was the only one he could call as his own, only one he could lean onto. Then he kissed me softly, and he didn't need to speak it aloud.

I wasn't bowing to Mrs. Pearson's words. "Renew that, and renew my permission to five months like you are doing for others under the extension period of The Queen's Trial. You didn't appoint me, you don't fire me."

I expected the gasps that bursted through the girls. If Charlotte could, she would drag me down to our room, and pack my trunk herself. Instead she stood silent, paling as Mrs. Pearson turned redder with her increasing fury.

She slammed her fist onto the tabletop. "I am the head of the staff. How long has it been since you're working for Prince Aedric? Three days? And I already have two people from His Highness' wing telling me that you absolutely have not touched a chore. We do not pay you for nothing. You are fired, Miss Louth, and if you do not leave voluntarily, I will have guards intervene."

"I cooked, and helped the medics. Understand my situation, I can't leave," Aedric alone, not when he looked at me like that.

"One month, Miss Louth, and that too because Sir Emmett appointed you. The day after the ball, a meet for the staff is scheduled. If I get one complaint about you from the staff throughout the month, you will exhaust your last chance," she said. "And I receive a hint of complaint from the Prince himself, you will be out before. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Mrs. Pearson."

She turned to the rest of the handmaidens, her glare toned down. "Do not assume you will be excused if I get complaints from the ladies. All of them are equally capable of being our future Queen."