f o u r

✿

E s m é r a l d a    A l b y

"Eirik?" I kick a pebble on way back to home, intending to take it with me all the way.

He had mostly been silent after the whole ordeal and following that, he kept his words to a minimum. "Mhm?"

"Were you close to Queen Amaya?" I pursued my lips, feeling the need to add, "nevermind if you don't want to answer."

"Pass."

"Sorry," I murmured, not even knowing what possessed me to ask.

"You know, Esméralda?" He planted his feet to the ground. I stopped as well. "Let's fuck this sad-shit and—"

I slapped his arm, my mouth gaped open. "Language."

"Maybe I'm not as gentleman-ly as you'd thought me to be," he shrugged.

A laugh bubbled from my throat. "It's only fair if you're not a gentleman all the time. I mean, the very few times I have to act like a lady, it sucks."

"Tell me something about yourself," he rested his elbow on my shoulder like we were buddies since forever as we once again began walking our way to the Louth villa.

"I thought we decided to fuck the sad-shit."

"Woah." He grinned, easily sliding away the unwanted topic. "A woman swearing, that's refreshing."

"A woman can swear, alright?" I crossed my arms over my small chest. "You just have to wait for the right moment when I get pissed enough to prove it."

"I'm already praying to the gods that I'm not on the receiving end."

"Life is full of surprises," I teased with a giggle. "Why you would even call it refreshing is beyond me! I think 'repulsing' is the word you were looking for."

"The ladies at the palace are perfectly that. Ladies." His expressions soured. "Whenever I'm around them, all I hear is—gowns and crowns, dancing and fancying, looks and curves and shoes and diamonds. I think I feel more human when I am not around someone who has been trained to behave a certain way from eating to shitting."

"Well, that's, um," my shoulders shook as the irritated look on his immaculate features only fuelled the humor of the situation, "you caught me at a lack of words."

We rounded a corner near the Louth villa and suddenly, I didn't want this walk to come to an end. Inside, there were the same faces, the same chores and those same bars that had caged me for years. Outside, it was Eirik—his smile, his talks, his touch, his affection, the scent of irises on him and the illusion of belonging he gifted me with.

But we walked on and on until the proud construction appeared too close for my liking.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" I blurted out, halting my feet to stop us from going any nearer.