s e v e n

✿

E s m é r a l d a    A l b y

"Esméralda!" Laura banged open the door of my attic so loud, I had the urge to cover my ears to avoid their breakdown like a hinge in the door might have faced.

Laura was steam-coming-out-of-ears fuming for a reason I did not know. She pointed a painted nail at me. "If, by any chance, my Lord Sebastian hears about your shameful doings and decides to call off my marriage and I do not end up becoming a Countess, I'm going to kill you with my bare hands. And I'm not even exaggerating."

The book in my hands fell onto my lap, my body turning stone in shock. "What...?" My lips parted. "I didn't do anyt—"

"Shut up! Just shut up!"

Did they find about Eirik and I? Did they find my love for him to be shameful?

The thought of never seeing Eirik again ignited a deep-seated rage within me, the one that told me I'd no longer be tamed. I'd rise like a tsunami before they try to control me like tap water once again. I'd not let them decide who I loved, who I courted, who I married or if I married or not.

"Now, come downstairs and tell the guard—"

"Guard? What guard?"

"The guard from the palace who's here to apprehend you!"

Shock shot through me like lightening, my feet finding ground and rushing me to her faster than a four-minute mile runner. "Apprehend me? There has to be some mista—"

"Stop pretending for god's sake!" Laura threw her hands up. "Do we not provide you enough? Father gives you two meals, clothing and shelter, why is it that you had to steal?"

"Steal? What are you talking about?" I gaped. "I didn't—"

"Then tell that to the guard who believes otherwise!"

With a turn of her heel, she stormed off. I took a few slow breaths; it calmed my palpitating heart. The guard had to be looking for someone else. At most, what was it that I could steal? Mr. Clark's colored pencils? Even they were borrowed!

I stomped my way down. I was going to shove my middle finger in his face and demand proofs! The palace could not go harassing anyone they wished. I would not be shamed by going for a trial for a crime I did not commit. Screw laws, screw orders, screw the guard and screw the fucker who dared to accuse me falsely.

I was muttering curses with my each breath as the staircase thumped under my rage. It'd been seven days and a faint pink scar had taken place where my heel once bled but pain manifested as a result of my ragged footfalls.

The sound turned four heads to me, a gasp emancipating from my throat. My eyebrows shot up to meet my hairline once my gaze stopped on Eirik standing in the doorway.