t e n

✿

E s m é r a l d a    A l b y

"Is it true?" Father's powerful voice resonated, snapping my gaze down to the floor and glueing my lips together in fear of ticking him off. My hands interlinked in a tight hold as if it would act like a leash against their shaking.

"I asked you a question, Esméralda Louth!"

My cold gaze snapped up to meet his fire. "I'm Alby, if you've forgotten."

"Do not evade my question," his palms crashed against the table in an appalling noise as he rose to his feet. His nostrils flared. "Are you having an affair?"

"No."

"I knew I gave you too much credit, Harlot." Laura laughed in a mocking manner. "But the least I can do is hope that he pays good for whatever unshapely goods you have to offer."

"Draw the line before I do it for you, Laura." Father snapped, death glare directed towards her for a change. "And I sure know you won't like it."

Her jaw clenched. "You will not. I'm going to be—"

"A Countess of nothing if I decide to spend the money of your dowry on healthying my orchards instead."

That sealed her mouth shut.

Father turned to me, shriveling me up like a dead leaf with a mere look. "Lie and I'll make you wish you hadn't."

It never was a question of if. It was when and Laura made the decision for me as now.

"It's not an affair because an affair is rather a derogatory term." I held onto Eirik's ring like it will provide me with everything I needed to get out of this situation. "I love him. I wish to marry him."

"Who is he?"

Who was Eirik? Was he a mere servant as he told me? Or an unrivalled guard of the Prince?

"The guard that insulted you. And you tell me to draw a line."

My father's facial features hardened, Eirik's poisonous tone weaved of simple words not forgotten by him yet. I looked down, confirming Laura's words and answering him a question he never asked.

"Didn't I tell you my friend saw her at the diner playing whore?" Laura continued. "You told me that my friend was mistaken, for Esméralda was at a trial. It was a drama intentionally created to insult you, Father."

Rounding the table, his hand lifted to deliver an angry slap upon my cheek. "You are worth nothing! Not even an ounce of trust or concern my guilt forced me to put in you!"

"I didn't know he—"

"Shut your damn mouth!"

"If he did it once, he'll do it again."