° 37 °

"What you guys wanted to do to me wasn't fair oo," Naomi whined and glanced at me through the corner of her eye. I scoffed at that. "It wasn't fair na". She had taken the passenger's seat beside Freddy, the driver of the sleek, flawless sliver car we were in.

"Naomi, rest na. Aren't you with us now?" I exclaimed and rolled my eyes. Sitting at the backseat made me anxious and uncomfortable. I truly hope we find Prince.

"Ehh...." she trailed off. "But you guys almost left me behind".

"We didn't know you were interested in coming," Freddy defended and shot one of his boyish grin at her.

Naomi feigned anger and asked, "Don't you think I also deserve answers from Prince? I want to know why he would treat my sister the way he did".

Freddy shook his head and chuckled. "You will get the answers you want. Just wait".

"Like...you guys planned to track Prince's whereabouts without me. Don't you know I like adventures too?" She pouted and folded her arms across her chest, her eyes bright with amusement.

"Okay! Fine. We are sorry, cupcake" Freddy said and placed his free hand on hers, and the other, on the steering wheel. He glanced at her for a second and turned his eyes to the road. "I had a friend get me a tracking device. It's in Prince's car. Right now, I'm following him wherever he is going. The moment he stops and gets out of his car, we rush to him and interrogate him till he spills the beans".

"Wow!" Naomi nodded. "I like the idea. So where are we going?"

Freddy glanced at me through the rearview mirror and then at Naomi. "I don't know why but Prince isn't going to his office this early morning. He is heading somewhere different, a rural place in Lagos".

"Why?"

"I don't know," he bunched up his shoulders and lets then fall down. "I'm just worried about my car".

"Why?" Naomi asked.

"Because I just washed it and Prince is literally driving to a place filled with potholes and muds. Why are Nigerian roads like this? I'm starting to miss America now".

Naomi groaned at his words and pursed her lips. "Do you want to go back?"

He nodded.

Naomi's gaze fell on me through the mirror and she tried to hide her sad looks behind a strained smile. I saw how fake the smile was and quizzed, "Why do you want to go back?"

He chuckled nervously and added: "Because my mom and dad have made up and I just wanted to have a happy family dinner with them".

My eyes softened at that and I clamped my lips shut.

"Are they together now?" Naomi exclaimed with joy, though still mixed with a handful of sadness. I could tell she was scared he would leave her.

"No!" he snapped and shook his head. His jaw clenched but he quickly freed it. "I don't think they can ever be together since he chose his white family over us. He is just asking for forgiveness since he is going in and out of the hospital recently".

"Why?" I inquired and leaned closer to them, my hand resting on the center console.

"He's been ill. He gets well and after a week, he is back on a hospital bed. Karma, if you ask me, and he deserves it".

Naomi chuckled, "I thought you said you wish to have a family dinner with him".

"Yeah, just because it makes my mom happy and I just want to hang out with her."

"Mummy's boy," Naomi teased and pinched his arm.

"So far, my relationship with my dad is still tight. I don't know whether he apologized just because he feels God is punishing him for his sins or because he truly cares," he disclosed and shrugged, his lips pressing to a hard line.