°20°

My plan was to stay awake throughout the ride to the hospital. Prince had insisted that I should sleep. He had asked if I had eaten but I told him I won't eat he shouldn't even bother forcing me. It's annoying how he is so caring. He knew I needed to sleep since the ride was going to be long. He switched on the air conditioner, played a soothing music and adjusted my seat a little. I was determined not to sleep so I kept my eyes wide open. Two minutes later, I was dozing.

"Anita, we are at the hospital. Wake up!" a soft voice invaded my sound sleep. I mumbled and fell back into my dream world. Someone tapped my arm and then, moved my shoulder.

My eyes snapped open and I screamed, "What?"

Prince flinched and leaned away. I glared at him and he rose his hands up in mock surrender. I glanced around me and that's when I noticed the big hospital building. I quickly unlocked my seatbelt, hopped out of the car and ran towards the entrance door.

"Wait for me!" Prince voiced but I was too far away to stop. I got in and ran to the receptionist. I provided her with the information she needed and she told me the room number. Prince dashed in as I was already racing down the hallway. Soon, he was trailing behind me. We flew stairs before we finally arrived at the room. I tried to steady my breathe as I opened the door. My mom hopped from her chair at once. "Doctor?" her weak voice exclaimed.

"No mom! It's Anita," I whispered.

She rubbed her eyes and then did a double take of me. Tears welled up in her eyes as she walked to me. I quickly closed the gap between us and embraced her. She said between sniffs, "Thank....Thank...Thank God....you...you are here!"

I rubbed her back and looked at her face. She was definitely stressed. Her eyes were red and swollen, her lips were chapped and she looked leaner. I haven't seen her in weeks now so this wasn't an encouraging sight. My parents are meant to be healthy.

Oh Lord, have mercy on me and spare my parents' lives. Bless them with good health.

"What has happened so far?" I asked.

She turned and pointed at this heart monitor. "That thing has stopped beeping! Your dad is breathing well but not too well. The doctor said he is not out of danger yet".

My eyebrows went up. "That heart monitor was beeping?" I gasped. "Like dad almost passed away?"

"Shh! Don't ever say that. Your dad will live long!" Mom cautioned at once. "I had fainted when I saw it beeping. That's why I delayed to inform you about that situation at hand. Your dad had an heart attack this morning".

I bit my bottom lips and nodded. I glanced at my dad who had an oxygen mask on his face. His dark skin that always looked bright now looked dull and just seeing his eyed closed as he lay weak there made my heart squeeze. I didn't even know when a lone tear trickled down my cheek.

"Um...." A disembodied voice cleared his throat. I turned and spotted Prince in front of the closed door. He dug his hands into his pockets and walked to us. "Good evening ma!"

My mom cocked a brow and searched my face for an answer. "Mum, meet Prince. A good friend of mine," I voiced.

I won't dare introduce Prince as my boyfriend to my mom. She will start preparing for marriage and I don't want to disappoint her. I know she wants grandchildren but she will have to wait. Prince and I just signed a contract that will end after two months. This month is even about to end so it's one month remaining.

My mom nodded. "Good evening! Thank you for coming with my daughter. I appreciate"

"Your welcome, ma. Pls don't worry much. I'm sure your husband will get better. I will even do everything I can to help out," Prince said. "However, I think you should rest now. You look exhausted".