Chapter Thirty-Two

Author's note: I've been depressed. Anyway, here it is. 

***

The flying boat rattles with turbulence as hordes of rocks are throttled toward them. Up until now, the flight has been relatively peaceful, but the closer they have gotten to their destination, the more chaotic things have become. We've got to be right on top of him. Peri clutches onto one of the railings attached to the sides of the interior as Onyonkapon tries to dodge the onslaught of boulders. Through the windshield, she catches small glimpses of the one throwing rocks in their direction, Zeke. Her hands and wrists are beginning to cramp and ache as the vessel finally stabilizes. She allows her body to relax, stumbling away from the wall and into Reiner, who's just found his footing behind her. Even so, there's still aching in her chest. It's quiet if only for a moment before Levi mutters shortly from somewhere amongst a group shouting almost immediately after finishing his first sentence, "That big furry bastard!"

Peri looks over her shoulder as Armin starts to speak to the group as a whole. As much as she wants to, she can't bring herself to focus on what's being said, not when there's so much she'd rather share with Reiner instead. We've got to be nearing the drop-off point, she realizes. There's only so much I'll get to tell him before this starts before it ends. She leans forward, her hand wrapping around Reiner's wrist. His eyes are blown wide and his mouth is barely agape when he faces her. She lunges forward wrapping her arms around him for what might be the last time. Her nose tingles and her eyes sting, but crying is not an option. Not here, not now. "Reiner?" she says, unsure of how the shape of his name feels moving past her lips in this instant. "Reiner?" She says again, almost savoring the sound.

"Peri?"

"Listen to me, no mistakes. Don't go fuckin' around out there, you hear me?" She says.

"Loud and clear." He answers pulling her tighter before letting go.

She smiles weakly and steps back, nodding toward the door. "We better get going," she mutters.

"Right, see ya when the world's a better place," he chuckles nervously, before standing at the edge of the threshold. He seems hesitant before diving into the air and down below. Peri's feet drag against the ground as she makes her way to the door herself.

She can't remember the last time she felt this nervous before a fight, but at this moment her entire body rattles with anxiety. She swallows the lump in her throat and closes her eyes before stepping away from the edge and plummeting to the scene of the battle below. Her eyes open to a bright flash of light to see Reiner transforming just before hitting the surface of the Founder's body and slamming Zeke's titan beneath him. Her heart swells with realization causing her to lose focus for an instant before a voice calls out to her. "Peri! Watch out!" they call out. Her eyes blow up and her fingers struggle to pull the triggers of her gear as the bones of the founder race toward her faster and faster. Dammit, dammit, dammit, she thinks to herself, finally pulling the trigger and shooting the wires of her gear into one of the spines protruding from its back. She swings to a stop, resting just above Jean and Armin. "Are you alright!?" Jean asks. She nods. "Just making sure, didn't seem like you were really with us for a second there!"

Peri rolls her shoulders back, "I'm fine now. Don't you go off worrying about me either. I'll be okay."

"Better prove it, then," Jean answers.

Armin's voice projects over the chaos, "Guys, look!" He yells, pointing to Reiner and Zeke below them. "Zeke isn't even... wait."

"No wonder he's not putting up a fight. He's already a husk," Levi says.