Chapter Seven

He can't help it, but his eyes haven't left Bertolt and Peri since he sat down for dinner. He's been keeping his distance as Bertolt urged him to a little over a month ago. It was easy at first, to just stay away and lie to himself. It felt like second nature to call her a devil and act as if she actually were, but it's been increasingly more difficult to keep the act up. He's been noticing the changes in her behavior, something about her seems completely off. She seems down, and he can't pin why because he hasn't talked to her. Bertolt has though, and jealousy seems to be all-consuming anytime he thinks about it. He's grateful though, that the opportunity to talk to her isn't lost for good. Up until last night, when everyone decided which regiments to join, Reiner had convinced himself that he and Peri would go their separate ways. The thought gnawed at him relentlessly until he realized that they'd both stayed behind to join the scouts. He'd never felt such relief before in his life.

He stands up, lifting his tray to go discard it. It's been a lonely first day in the scout regiment. Everybody has either been too distracted catching up with Eren or getting settled in. Word is that they'll start preparing for their first expedition outside of the walls tomorrow, meaning all of the free time that they have comes to an abrupt halt first thing in the morning. He disposes of his leftovers and begins to leave the dining hall, but not before Bertolt can catch up. "Hey, Reiner. Are you heading back to the room?"

"I don't know, yet. Are you?"

"I think I might," he replies.

"Then, no."

"Really, Reiner? It's been a month or longer, are you really still upset about the whole Peri thing?" Bertolt asks, coming to a halt a few feet from the exit.

Reiner stops only a few paces ahead of him and sighs, "I might be, but it's not like it really matters. I think I'm just going to go for a walk. I'll head back to the room later." His feet set back into motion, carrying him far from Bertolt as well as anyone else in the vicinity. He continues to walk out of the building and toward the surrounding wilderness. This place isn't like where they were for training. There are no boundaries or fences, it's just open.

Might as well check it out.

He starts by circling the castle itself, taking in the grand exterior of the building. He wonders what it might've been used for before the Scouts decided to call it home. He wonders what other interesting stories this place could tell, what history it has, and what its future has in store. He comes around to the opposite of the castle and catches sight of the towering trees that surround the castle almost completely. He makes his way into the treeline and begins to make his way straight through until he comes across a worn path. It's not exactly paved or cleared, but somebody definitely frequents it often enough for the greenery to be worn down. I guess following it is as good of a decision as any other, he reasons with himself turning onto the path.

He follows it for a while, taking in the sounds of the surrounding forest and what little there is to see. He smiles softly at the appearance of a clearing on the other side before setting off into a light jog. Upon reaching the opening, he comes to a complete stop. There's a small body of water, not exactly a lake though, more like a pond. And, sitting on the edge of the water is a particular redhead. She looks like she's shrinking again, she's been doing that almost every time he comes across her, no matter the time of day or who she's with. He begins to back off, trying to remain silent but fails upon tripping on an exposed root. He grunts as he rolls onto his side, preparing to stand up. "Don't be shy, come on out!" Peri yells from where she sits. "Watching other people is weird."

Reiner stands awkwardly in the treeline, his eyes trained on Peri intently. Should I go out there? Should I go visit for a little bit? Would she want my company after a month of not talking to one another? Is she still upset about what I said that day?