Chapter XXVIII

Sorry, you guys! First day at the new job and updating totally slipped my mind, but technically it's still Friday. Enjoy!
Gemma's POV:
"It's a joke, really. A play on words. The Winters Ball is in the middle of summer and named for the family alone," she filled me in. How had I forgotten the iconic ball. "Still, it's tradition. And there is a rather wintery dress code, so you need a new dress." She froze. "Is that your mother's ring? I hadn't noticed until now."

"Sienna brought it and gave it to Zeke. Apparently Mom always wanted my mate to propose with it."

"That sounds like Maya. It's good your brother found someone equally as romantic. You know, even if she was being pushed into her own mating ball, she couldn't wait to see you go through all of these things."

She unhooked a garment bag from the closet railing, unzipping it to reveal a gorgeous evening gown. The floor-length piece shimmered between silver and an icy blue. It was a single strap dress that was long enough I'd probably need heels. The design was clearly meant to fit to my figure, showing off what assets I may have. Looking closer I noticed the long slit up the left side. Definitely heels tonight.

"It's gorgeous. Thank you so much."

"Of course, Gemma. You're family now." She smiled. "Go ahead and try that on while I get the shoes." The dress did more than flatter my figure. I was honestly dreading the heels. I didn't exactly have much need for them back home. Inexperienced was an understatement. "Here we are."

She came back out with the strappy heels and I slipped them on. "You'll have every eye in the room tonight, Gemma. Including my son's."

"I should hope so." I frowned. "I almost rejected him. I thought it was impossible."

"That's not your fault," she told me. "Parents call it a myth and their kids believe it. I did the same with the boys. Then I saw how he reacted to you and your brother. I saw you felt something then and there, even if it was nothing to act on. When I heard about you and Selene bonding, I knew. I just knew I was right to suspect what I had."

"She found me that first night. That really was the start of it all. I guess I'm lucky she's an empath."

"Oh, something would have drawn you together, Gemma. Even if it took a while longer." She sighed. "The banquet starts at six, so you have some free time."

"There aren't any formal requirements I'm missing, are there?"

She passed me an earring box. "Have fun and stop worrying you'll make a mistake."

"That's not all I'm worried about. I saw how everyone reacted when he mentioned Sam."

"She was admired by many. Did you bother to notice how everyone reacted when Zeke proposed this morning? I did. I've never seen him happier and our people are ready to accept you, Gemma. You are a wonderful woman with strength and patience. A luna is the heart of a pack and a queen the heart of the nation. Maybe some will doubt your mating bond, but if you just be yourself then I guarantee you will be accepted here."

She held me by my shoulders. "All I've wanted these past few years was to see my son happy again and he said himself you've exceeded that expectation. Now, speaking of Zeke, you should be with him now. He wants to ease you into your responsibilities here."

I nodded. "Thank you. I needed that."

"Go on. Change and go find him."
~~~~~
"So, you're the girl who stole Zeke Winters' heart."

The voice came from my right. "And you're extremely stealthy. Gemma," I said, offering my hand. "We haven't met, have we?"

"No. Brett Parker. I'm the Lotus beta. I just wanted to give a proper introduction before you're thrust into the pack and learning a bunch of names and professions and whatnot. Though from what I've heard and seen you're familiar enough with the the hospital heads."