Chapter VII

Sorry! I thought today was Thursday! Hope y'all are enjoying!

Zeke's POV:

"This riddle, did you hear it yourself?"

"I solved all of mine inside the room, Your Majesty. She said she solved two and the third was one she was told to sit on for a while. She came out of there with a good gash on her head, too. Whatever happened in there could be a threat to others. I recommend postponing the trials until it has been investigated. If it was just her, perhaps she needs temporary protection. I didn't think the riddle trial could be sabotaged, but this has never happened."

"I know. Give me her name so I can see if she knows anything she didn't tell you."

"Gemma. I didn't get a last name. Then, I didn't provide mine, either. She had an Eclipse mark, if that helps."

I sighed. Gemma Hart. Again. "Thank you, Taylor. You and Josh keep quiet about this. You can get on with your day." She tilted her head down, turning away. "Wait."

"Your Majesty?"

"Just how bad was that gash?"

"I played it down so she wouldn't worry, but I pushed her to see a doctor here. With stitches it'll heal fairly quickly."

I felt unwelcome tension leaving my body. "Have a good day."

The door clicked shut and I began to pace. The others facing the challenge today could wait another few moments. Or get pushed back a day. With over three dozen wolves up for the trials this year I had spaced them evenly over three days. Today is day one, but with another week until trial number two a push would be safest.

"Daddy?"

I walked over to the door leading outside. The layout of my office was weird, but convenient to keep an eye on Selene when it was nice weather to play. "Hey, sweetheart. Done playing for now?" The Austin heat had left her flushed and slouching. "Come in here and drink some water. Play with some toys until you want to go back out."

"Daddy, you still look blue and black. Those are bad colors. People feel things outside, but they feel happy. You don't."

I sat down in my chair, holding out my arms. "Baby, we've hit a little bump in the trials. I have to check on some things today to make sure no one gets hurt. In fact, I'm going to call Grandma to see if she can come watch you while I take care of that. Later we'll have our movie dinner. I promise."

I reached for the mind-link.

"Mom, I need to see what's going on with the riddle. Can you watch Selene for an hour or two? I promised a movie dinner later, so I shouldn't be long."

"Take the time you need. We don't need any more odd injuries."

I kissed Selene's hair as my mother appeared in the doorway. "Go have fun with Grandma."
~~~~~
The investigation of the riddle room yielded no answers to Gemma's attack or the abnormal riddle. This meant I needed to directly ask what type of mystery she had been provided with a few hours ago. First, however, I had promised a special movie night to Selene. I fixed us a snacky dinner, heading towards the movie room. "Hello, ladies. Thanks for watching her, Mom."

"Of course. I'll leave you to it." She gave me a more sobering look. "The riddle trials?" she mind-linked as she walked away.

"No sign of trouble. I pushed everyone back a day. Merely a precaution."

"Good. Who was injured?"

"Gemma Hart. Tomorrow I'll be reaching out about her third riddle. Apparently it was different from the others. Don't tell too many people. If word does spread she already solved it. Can you make that clear to the rest of our family? Taylor and Josh already know."

"I've got it. Have fun tonight. You've been neglecting that poor girl."

I grimaced as I turned on her favorite movie, Frozen 2. Neglectful was a bit extreme, but distant was certainly accurate. With her new gift coming into play, I was honestly scared to be around her. I avoided transparency as best I could. If I couldn't even put on a strong act for the little stressors to keep her worries away, what good could I do for her as a father?

I set her plate down on her TV tray, tugging her close and kissing her forehead. "I love you, sweetheart. Don't forget that."

"I know, Daddy. I love you too."

"I need to talk to Gemma tomorrow. Do you want her to teach you a little about your gift?" Her eyes lit up, and I guessed her aura was sunshine yellow as she nodded vigorously. "Alright. I'll ask her about it. No more color talk for now. Just relax and watch your movie." I slowly reached over. "Don't take my crackers!"

"Well, darn. And here I thought I was sneaky."

"Well, you're not, Daddy," she snapped.

"Alright, little miss attitude. Eat."