Chapter XIII

Gemma's POV:
I sensed him from a good distance, but didn't stand to greet him. I wanted to know if things would be any different here after our last exchange. Not that things weren't already dangerously intimate.

"I like dangerously intimate," Raya told me.

"I know you do. That scares me."

Zeke reached for the mind-link between us. "I have a few things to ask you. Is that alright?"

"Shoot."

"Have you and your brother spoken since the ball?" I tensed, turning my head as his side brushed mine. "I don't mean to pry, but Selene can get very attached to people. I need to know now how long you intend to continue helping her. And a selfish part of me may wonder how much longer I can come out here."

"Well, Your Majesty, we are on your territory, are we not?"

"How much longer can I see you, Gemma?"

I sighed. "My brother broke vows that night, Zeke. Vows he made to me. Vows he made our parents. He put me beneath him. His protective behavior was driving me up the wall but he had never gone that far. It hurt. I can't talk to him yet. I'll stay here until you and Selene are sick of me then find another pack. Hopefully I'll finish the trials and I can earn a rank somewhere."

"What if I told you that you could earn rank here?"

"Zeke, please don't give me your pity. You asked for the facts and I'm laying them down."

"Gemma, do you know what I've been hearing out of Selene the last few days? When can I see Gem? Can we do another lesson? Have you talked to her yet? Gem, Gem, Gem. If you leave Lotus you are going to break my little girl's heart, Miss Hart. I think she loves you more than me."

"No! And you can't use Selene as an excuse, Zeke."

"Gemma, I'm just laying down the facts," he mocked me. "I mean it. You prove yourself in the trials and I'll find you the best warrior position open."

"You'll find me a position I earn, Zeke. No more than that."

"Gemma, I don't know what doubts your brother and his mate have put in your head about your potential, but I see a very capable woman."

I jumped to my feet, now standing about a half-foot taller than him. "My brother hasn't done anything to my self-confidence. I just don't want or need anything handed to me on a silver platter. And Sienna is the only reason we even met. She's never wronged me."

He stood, once again dwarfing me. "My apologies. Perhaps we can put this on the back burner. Let's go on our little run."
~~~~~
Zeke's POV:
I wasn't going to catch this wolf until she let me.

I hadn't been lying when I told her her agility was going to get her through trial three and I knew it would be a valuable asset in any ranks. What she didn't realize was that that wasn't what most alphas care about. She's a beautiful woman born into a ranking family. Very few would immediately consider her a candidate for a warrior wolf.

"And only one has the ability to call her a queen."

I wasn't letting Caspian take over tonight. I didn't know what lengths he would go to. A shortcut I knew caught my eye. An edge for me. These always made me feel better, as ridiculous as it is. I would have nailed her, had she not dodged just in time. I growled in frustration. So close.

"Ha, ha!"

"Oh, now who's laughing at who, little wolf?"

I watched her prance around, crouching a few feet away from me. "Come on. Come and get me."