Chapter Nine...

Allison was without words in the gratitude department. Carlina had given her something more than words could express. The kindness she has shown her was unlike anything she has been fortunate enough to receive in all of her days on earth. After her shower, she returned to the room where Carlina sat patiently reading a magazine. She was then moved into a room with a huge tub with a covering. Once she was placed in the tub and covered up, Carlina sat in the room to keep her company. The steaming hot water stung at first but quickly began to melt away all of the tense and battered parts of her body. The two engaged in random conversations until the masseuse came to take her into the next room. There she was asked to lay on the table, wrapped in only a sheet.

From that point on she was moved around the area of rooms with Carlina not too far behind. She had fallen asleep during her massage being that it felt heavenly. Allison had lost track of time and was just going with the flow. The stylist washed, conditioned, and trimmed her tattered mane. A blowout was applied to her otherwise natural hair. Instead of using a pressing comb like she did at home these results made her look like someone else. Off to the next destination was her facial, pedicure, and manicure. Through all of the plucking, tweezing, waxing, trimming, and friendly conversation she was a new person.

Inside and out, Allison had gone through a serious transformation. All the way down to the fitted velour sweat suit with the salon’s logo on it, looking in the mirror she didn’t recognize herself. Carlina was all smiles as well when the finished product had been revealed. Allison was ravished by the time all was said and done. Instead of piling on the heavy food, they opted for a grilled chicken Caesar salad and toasted turkey sandwiches for dinner. Outside she looked like a million bucks, on the inside she feared ridicule from the ones who knew the real reason she was there to begin with. Will they look at her like a con-woman? After all she was married to a gambler and liar. Would they frown upon her for it looks like she was taking advantage of the kind woman?

“What is it caro?”

“It’s nothing. Just my insecurities.”

“No matter what all has been said to you in the past, you must take a long look at yourself and decide who you want to be. Are you the punching bag of an insecure prick or are you a woman of virtue?”

“What if I lost my identity somewhere between the two?”

“Then it will take time to regain what you have lost.”

“I pray one day I will figure out just what it is that I have lost. Furthermore where I lost it. Although my upbringing was never stellar, I never saw myself here.”

“You will sweetheart. I just know it. You just need a little reassurance.” Allison was listening to Carlina but so far she didn’t see anything to look forward to. Besides the fact that she isn’t walking into a punch in the face by her beloved husband, everything else is a little bleak. She didn’t have her own identity technically, not a dime to her name, and living with strangers. Sadly it wasn’t by choice either.

~

Walking into the mansion she had already forgotten her transformation. Their conversation was heavy on her mind. Somehow she missed all of the bags in the car as the driver began unloading the trunk. Allison didn’t recall Carlina purchasing more than one or two bags. Interesting enough, there were more than ten bags in there. It was fairly full. Then considering she was well known and they visited boutiques, the things could have been on order. Maybe what she should have asked Mr. Mucciono for in place of working for him is helping her gain her freedom. A divorce would be nice. Hell if given the opportunity she would live right there in Italy.

“What do you boys think?” Carlina asked out of the blue successfully jarring Allison from her thoughts. She hadn’t realized anyone was around when they walked in.