Thantophobia: Childe x Lumine

。。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。。
ᴛʜᴀɴᴛᴏᴘʜɪʙɪᴀ (ɴ.) Tʜᴇ ғᴇᴀʀ ᴏғ ʟᴏsɪɴɢ sᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ.
。。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。。

In which Childe and Lumine cross one another's paths on Liyue's beaches.

(This story is sort of a "what if." It takes place after the quest We Will Be Reunited, and it's my idea of what would happen if Aether told Lumine to not come after him.)

The beach was still, though it wasn't silent. The soft lapping of the waves combined with the distant cries of seagulls should've been relaxing. The warm sun and the breeze combing across the sand like gentle fingers should've been comforting.

But as Lumine stood barefoot in the shallows of the ocean, staring blankly at the horizon, she couldn't feel any of the day's pleasure. It felt wrong that the afternoon should be so bright and peaceful when inside she felt very cold.

Because now she would never be able to reunite with Aether again.
The thought stirred a dull ache in her heart, and she closed her eyes, breathing deeply to quell the pain.
If it was what her brother wanted...

"Hey, Comrade!!" A distinctly cheerful voice called over to her.

She opened her eyes and saw Childe strolling casually down the beach towards her. She groaned inwardly. He was the last person she wanted to see, and once he tagged along with her, nothing short of beating him to a pulp would get him to leave, and she was far too exhausted to do that.

Childe stopped at the edge of the shore where the waves broke across the sand, removing his boots and rolling up the ankles of his pants to join her in the shallows. He was smiling, blue eyes sparkling, and completely unaware of how Lumine felt. But how could he know?

"How did you find me?" Lumine demanded.

Childe made a face. "Aw, come on, that's a fine way of greeting me! And I found you because I saw a Traveler-less Paimon floating around the city and I pried the truth out of her."

Lumine groaned. "I told her to not tell anyone where I was..."

"In her defense, I was really persistent."

That was unsurprising. "Listen, Childe, I don't really feel like talking right now. So could you go away?"
Lumine stared at the water, so clear she could see her bare toes digging into the sand as little fishes darted back and forth.

"But I just got here," Childe laughed.

Lumine glared at him, and she guessed that the look held something that even Childe in all his relentless teasing and cluelessness understood. He swallowed visibly.

"I want to be alone," Lumine enunciated, clenching her fists. She needed time to think, to process. She just...she didn't even know anymore. Because now that Aether refused to wait for her, her journey had been for nothing. Everything had been for nothing: the battles, the quests, everything.
Her head started to ache and spin.

Childe frowned a little, examining her face with careful scrutiny. "Lumine, are you alright?"

"Sure I am," she said in mock cheerfulness, closing her eyes and crossing her arms. "And I'd be a whole lot better if you'd leave."

"Lumine..."

"Stop it, Childe."

Childe blinked and tilted his head to the side, his ruby earring catching the light in pretty, twinkling ways. "Alright. I won't say anything...and you don't have to tell me anything. But I'm still staying with you."