Hygge: A Character Story

。。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。。
ʜʏɢɢᴇ (ɴ. ᴅᴀɴɪꜱʜ ᴏʀɪɢɪɴ) ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʀᴍ ꜰᴇᴇʟɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ ɢᴇᴛ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴀɴʏ ᴏꜰ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀʟʟ ʟɪꜰᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ᴛᴏ ᴏꜰꜰᴇʀ.
。。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。。

Another request for Snowie_bunn who has some of the best ideas for One-Shots. :)
In which Chongyun on Xingqiu's persuasion attempts to go after an evil spirit in Guili Plains, only to find something else.

Chongyun took a deep breath in and then slowly exhaled, calming his state of mind and steadying his breathing. He sat on the edge of the dock on Liyue Harbor, listening to the far-off cries of gulls and seabirds. It was a cool cloudy day, the perfect weather for hunting evil spirits.

Chongyun hadn't had many leads lately, and he worried that he'd never live up to his own personal standards as an exorcist if he never actually came across a spirit. He opened his eyes, blinking to adjust to the light. He was certain he was forgetting something that day...but what?

Oh well. It couldn't be that important, although it still bothered him that he couldn't remember. He yawned and stretched. Where would he try to look for evil spirits today? Maybe he could go to Mt. Hulao and investigate the mysterious amber formations there. Perhaps he'd find an ancient demon sealed away after centuries of dormancy.

Or there was Wuwang Hill, known for the strange supernatural occurrences that happened there. If he moved swiftly and silently, maybe he could catch a spirit and exorcise it there.

Then there was--

"Chongyu-u-u-n," someone said in a sing-song voice.

Chongyun turned around to see his friend, Xingqiu, waving at him. Xingqiu sat next to him closing up a book he'd been holding.

"Xingqiu! I didn't expect to see you here today," Chongyun said, scratching the back of his head.

"Well, dear Chongyun, I was hoping to find you," his friend replied solemnly, closing his eyes as he spoke.

"Why?"

"Because..." Xingqiu opened one eye and paused for dramatic effect, waiting to see how Chongyun would react. Chongyun sat there, swinging his legs lazily back and forth over the dock's edge. Xingqiu snickered. "Because there was an evil spirit in Guili Plains, wreaking havoc left and right, bothering everyone who crosses its path. And who, Chongyun, would be better to exorcise such a spirit than you?"

Chongyun's eyes lit up, and then he frowned a little, shoulders slumping.

"Why, Chongyun, you look positively crestfallen." Xingqiu grabbed his shoulders and shook him a little. "You're not sick, are you? Do you need one of your popsicles or something?"

"No, I...I feel fine," Chongyun said. "It's just that...I can't get within ten miles of a spirit. I'll never find it."

Xingqiu shook his head, smiling. "That won't be the case this time, I promise. It's a really mischievous spirit, and it laughs a lot. Maybe it will want to mess with you instead of run away. We'll never know if we don't try, right?"

Chongyun pursed his lips, weighing his options. Going with Xingqiu to Guili Plains would be way more fun than Mt. Hulao or Wuwang Hill. So Chongyun nodded determinedly.

"Alright. I'll go with you. My demon-expelling mantra is ready!"

"That's the spirit," Xingqiu said. "Quite literally, by the way. Let's be off, Chongyun! Spirits wait for no one."