20. Never Been More Positive in my Life

Friday finally came upon us after a long week. I almost got myself grounded for my English grade, which I lied about, but Mom forgot that detail, so I was able to smoothly talk myself out of that one.

That morning, I got up extra early, just to be sure I was presentable even though I'd have practice before we could go anywhere. I showered and brushed my teeth before going into my room to get dressed. I chose a pair of grey sweatpants and a black and orange school Valley High School hoodie. I grabbed my black Hey Dudes and went downstairs.

"What's for breakfast?" I asked Dad since Mom wasn't in the room.

"Cereal. Mom is not feeling good and was sick all last night," Dad said tiredly.

"Oh, I'll go check on her."

"Hurry up. You still gotta eat and get a move on it," Dad said sternly.

"Yes, sir."

I walked into my parents' room and saw Mom stretched out on the bed. I went over to her and sat down on the edge of the bed.

I brushed her hair out of her face, and she was burning up.

"Morning, baby boy," she mumbled.

"Good morning, Momma. Sorry, you're sick. Do you need anything before I eat?"

"I'm ok, sweetie. Go eat and have a good day."

"Yes, ma'am. Are you still ok with me taking Tay to the fair tonight? I'll stay home if you need me."

"Yeah, have fun."

"I will. Love you, and I hope you feel better soon."

I covered her up better and went back into the kitchen. I was pouring Frosted Flakes when Auston came in and smacked the box, making a mess. Just my luck, Dad walked in and saw the mess.

"Peter," he began to scold, "you should be able to pour cereal without dumping it everywhere. You're going on 17, dammit."

"It was Auston," I tried to plead my case.

"I don't care, clean it up, now," he said grumpily.

"Someone's in a mood," I rolled my eyes and sighed but started to clean it up.

"Better clean up that attitude too, or I'll clean it for you," Dad threatened.

"Oh my geez," I groaned.

All that earned me was a hard smack on my bottom.

Why does my family insist on spanking as a punishment? This sucks ass.

"Keep it up, I dare you," Dad glared at me hard.

"Sorry, Dad," I apologized without attitude, not wanting to risk a sore butt or not being able to go out with Taylen tonight.

Auston was laughing the whole time, so after I apologized, Dad walked over to him and popped him twice, even harder than he got me.

"Ouch! What was that for?"

"You know that if you laugh, you get double the punishment," Dad scolded him, "apologize."

"I'm sorry, Peter," he said in an annoyed tone.

I nodded and finished my cereal. I got my keys off the key hook Dad recently installed and headed to school.

School went by uneventfully and slowly as I was excited, and now it was finally over.  Taylen and I agreed that we would just leave school together and get Taco Bell before going to the fair. I talked Dad into not making me go to after-school practice, so we could get going, and she would not have to wait on me.