53. Let's Do This Thing

We stayed up a bit longer discussing the topic before she fell asleep. I stayed up and did research on it all while she slept curled up on my chest. I had made my decision before I went to sleep.

The next morning, I wake up and feel around. Tay is not where I can reach her. I open my eyes and look around. She's not in the room. I laid there a minute letting myself wake up. I could smell something cooking, though I'm not sure what. After my body and eyes faced the harsh reality that I can't stay in bed all day, I got up and went into Carter and Taylen's bathroom. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I go downstairs and see Jason and Taylen making french toast and bacon.

"Good morning, sunshine," Jason said to me as I walked over to my girlfriend.

"Good morning," I replied with a smile.

I'm glad he's not mad at me. Not that I really did anything that should've pissed him off, but I'm glad he isn't mad.

Tay flipped the bread in the pan and turned to face me, "Good morning, sweetheart. Did you sleep good?"

She kissed my cheek and I nodded. She turned back and put the bread onto a plate.

"Peach, go get your brother, please," Jason said.

She left and Jason looked at me, "You still sore, kiddo?"

"Yes sir," I replied.

"I wanted to thank you," he said hesitantly.

That confused me, "For what?"

"Being exactly who my daughter needs. Thank you," he said it with so much sincerity.

I didn't know what to say so I smiled at him and then he surprised me even more by going in for a hug. Of course, I hugged him back and then Taylen and Carter came into the room.

"Great, so I'm the only hold out. Do y'all not see what he is doing?!?" he yelled and started to go back to his room.

"Carter Whyatt, I am sure you do not want another belting on top of what you got last night, so I would suggest that you check your attitude and march your sore butt over to your seat and sit down," Jason replied sternly.

Carter glared at him, and Jason glared right back. Jason started counting and my eyes got wide. Tay and I finished setting the table as the scene unfolded in front of us. Jason got to three before walking over and slapping Carter's butt three times fast. Carter grimaced but continued to glare. Jason grabbed his bicep, "Little boy, you are going to regret that. Peach, you and Pete start eating, we'll be back in a few."

Jason pulled Carter up the stairs leaving Tay and I alone. It was silent as we made our plates. I noticed that she only took half of a French toast. We made easy conversation as the whipping upstairs started. It was going awful. Carter was yelling and crying at every lick. It didn't last very long and before we knew it Carter was walking through the dining room and into Jason's room. He was still crying but it wasn't loud. He went back through a few minutes later with a tube of something. Taylen winced when she saw him with it, but I didn't know what it was. About two minutes later, he and Jason came down the stairs again and took their seats. Carter still had tears streaming down his face, but he put a piece of the sweet bread on his plate along with a few pieces of bacon. Everyone was silent, just wanting to be out of the awkward situation.

Tay finished right after I did. Even though she had half a piece of bread and two pieces of bacon, she's a slow eater and it took almost 20 minutes. I helped her clean up and when Jason and Carter were done, they put their plates in the sink.

Jason and Carter were hovering for a few moments before Jason cleared his throat and pointed in Tay and my direction.

"I apologize for the way I've been acting. It won't happen again," he said quietly.