23. Watermelon Chapstick

The next morning, I rose much later than usual. It was about 11:30 when I finally went downstairs. The triplets were sprawled out on the couches, watching TV.

"Oh, so he is alive," Bryson comments.

I cut my eyes at him and walked into the kitchen to find something to eat. A plate with a BLT was wrapped in plastic wrap sitting on the stove. I stuck it in the microwave. Dad walked in and sat down at the bar.

"Morning, kid," he said gruffly, almost like he was angry.

"Hey Dad," I replied softly.

My food beeped, and I cut the sandwich in half. I grabbed a Gatorade and sat down with Dad.

"Son, we need to talk."

Uh Oh, those are never good words. I thought of everything I've done in the last several weeks. I couldn't think of anything other than muttering curse words, which I need to stop because my momma raised me better, but it's become a habit.

"About?" I asked, forcing myself to sound casual even though I was semi-panicking. I have a date with Taylen at 1, and it would suck to get in trouble now.

"Specifically THE talk," he explained, emphasizing 'the'.

Kill me now. I already know how it works, and this is probably one of the most awkward conversations I will ever have. It's not like I'm clueless.

"We don't have to," I suggested, "I already know how it works and stuff."

"I understand that, but we have to talk about safety and consent," his voice slightly softened.

He dug into his pocket and pulled out a small, gold condom package. I groaned.

"I suppose you already know what this is?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Have you ever ...?" He gestured with his hands.

"No, close once," I admitted sheepishly.

"While I can tell you that you should wait until you're fully developed and preferably married, I understand that you have hormones and will probably get caught up in the heat of the moment some time. However, you have to be safe. I don't want you to be a teen dad or have to marry someone you don't love just because you knocked her up. I know that you would marry her and raise that child because it's the right thing to do and you're a good person, but I don't want that for you. So, I can't stress this enough, be safe. Also, you need to get checked out often, especially if you have sex with different girls." Dad rambled.

"Sir, yes, sir," I saluted him.

I grabbed the condom just to appease him and tried to walk away.

"Peter, we're not done here!" He called after me.

"What?" I groaned and walked back into the kitchen.

"You know that if you rape a girl, I'll beat your ass right? As in literally."

"Yes sir."

I just wanted to leave.

"Ok. What does rape mean?"

"Forcing sex on someone who doesn't want to, Dad, I know."

"Ok. Just remember no means no and when in doubt, tap out."

"I know, Dad."

"Alright, love you."

"Love you too."

Taylen said that she and mom had taken care of clothes so I threw on a pair of black sweatpants and a red t-shirt with a black hoodie. I brushed my teeth, fluffed my hair, and left.