33. I Wanna Kiss Your Apocalypse

At exactly 10:30 I pulled out of my driveway. I'm not sure why Taylen wanted me to go to her house so early, but here I am, way too early on a Saturday morning, headed out of the driveway. My brothers call it "whipped". I showered, threw on sweats and hoodie, kissed my momma, and left the house. I didn't even eat because I was running late. Thankfully, I planned ahead and had already put my bag in the truck the night before.

When I get there, Jason and Carter are outside doing something. I saw Taylen watering her marigolds. I hopped out and strolled over to the male Sanders family members.

"Hey, Peter! What's up, man?" Jason called as I walked over.

"Hey, not much. Whatcha working on?" I replied and shook his gloved hand.

"Peach has got us working on some kind of something. I'm not really sure what we're doing, we're winging it," he laughed.

"She's always got us doing something," Carter added, rolling his eyes.

"Me too," I chuckled, "Y'all need help?"

"No, they don't. You're busy with me," I heard Tay say from behind me.

I turned around and she gave me a soft kiss on the cheek.

"Hey! Not in front of me, please," Jason said jokingly.

"See what I put up with all the time," Carter remarked to his father.

Jason rolled his eyes.

"Cmon lover boy. We got a lot of stuff to do, and we're distracting them," Taylen grabbed my hand and pulled me inside.

As soon as we shut the front door, I kissed Taylen harder than I ever had before.

"I don't know if I'll ever get used to that," she gushed with a content smile.

"Might as well," I remarked with a shrug.

She put me to work hanging streamers and getting the ingredients she needed from the top shelf down.

We were minding our business in comfortable silence. That silence was broken when Taylen spoke suddenly.

"You're really, really cute, and I can't focus," she said in a dramatic, but serious tone.

I must've given her a look of shock because her next words were, "I'm not kidding. I almost forgot the eggs and almost burnt the chocolate because I couldn't keep my eyes off you. You're a distraction to me, Peter Grayson."

"So it's not just me then?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You're constantly on my mind, even when I'm not with you."

"Oh," she seemed a bit shocked.

"Yeah, you're kind of unbelievable, and I constantly wonder what I did to deserve you," I said honestly. I meant every word.

"I'm not that special. There are so many other girls that smile pretty, Peter."

"None of them nearly as pretty as you."

It occurred to me at that moment, that it was her chaos that made her beautiful. She was beautifully crazy. She hadn't exactly had the best life, but she was still so kind. Even on her bad days, the days that she wanted to hide, she put on a smile and helped someone else feeling the exact same way. It was something I'd never come to understand.

"Taylen Elouise, there is one thing that I'm certain of, and it's that God made everyone, and he made everyone unique. You are special to everyone you meet. You're a light, sweetheart," I went over and grabbed her hands.