His Last Smile

You sat next to Momo and greet her a good morning, she greeted you back and start a small talk with you before the class start. It was the first lesson but half way through, a knock can be heard. Aizawa opened the door and something flew in, that something was your crow, Izumi. 

"Rengoku Kyojuro has been defeated by upper moon three in battle!" izumi caw out as she cried while giving the information to you.

it felt like time was frozen, your brain was stil progressing the information your crow had given you.

"izumi... p-please repeat that" you stuttered 

"Rengoku Kyojuro... has been defeated by upper moon three in battle" Izumi repeated slowly and softly as to not break you.

The whole world crashed down on you and you tried to hold down the sob that's threatening to come out of your mouth. tears flowed down your cheek as you cried silently, your hair covering your face. 

The whole class was dumbfounded, the only one who understood was Yaoyorozu, Tokoyami, and Aizawa. it didn't take long for Yaoyorozu to understand what had happened judging by your reaction. 

"L/n, you are dismissed" Aizawa said, although his expression did not change, his eyes clearly showed sympathy for you. You bolted out of the room with Izumi following you.

around an hour later, you had arrive at Shinobu estate. You had ran so fast that it might as well rival Shinobu's speed.

"N/n..." Shinobu called, concerned for you

"Please... W-where i-is he?" You sobbed, Shinobu step aside revealing Rengoku corpse. You walked slowly towards his body and knelt beside it. Even in his final breath he did not stop smilling. 

You grab his hand and hold it closely to your chest, crying loudly to the point where you didn't care anymore who heard it. You were supposed to be calm at times like this but you can't help it. 

Shinobu could only watch and hear your heart wrenching cry. When you had calm down, you let them take Rengoku's body away. 

"L/n-san" Someone called you, turning around you were met with a dark red eyes.

"I-I'm sorry, it was my fault" Tanjiro cried out, you walk towards him and hugged him "it's okay, it wasn't your fault" your voice hoarse from crying.

You felt his tears on your shoulder but you didn't care and continue to hold him. You both were mourning. 

Once he calmed down he said "Rengoku-san... he- he told me that he wants you to take care of youself and keep smiling. He told me that he's always gonna be with you even if you don't see him"

"Thank you, Tanjiro" you pat his head and wearily smiled.

You lay on one of the beds and close your eyes, feeling mentally tired you immediately fall asleep.