drawn to you

Louis sat in class and watched as the third set of flowering vines slowly appeared on his arm. He had to admit, when he was younger he used to get annoyed with the drawings that would appear on his skin. All his other friends' soulmates were not nearly so inclined to draw on themselves, but from a young age Louis' had been quite artistically minded.

It had started with Louis getting in trouble for coloring on himself when he hadn't touched a felt tip pen the entire day. Besides, he had just turned six years old and knew better than drawing on himself. And he absolutely could draw better than his soulmate had, thank you very much. His mum finally caught on later during dinner when she saw more appear as they ate. She was kind enough to apologize.

Through the years, the random drawings had evolved and changed. There was a period in sixth form when his soulmate must have gotten shy or something, because the drawings only happened after school hours and in places that others wouldn't be as likely to see. The inside of his bicep, his thigh. A couple times he even had drawings appear on his ribcage. While he didn't mind those few years, he did seem somewhat soothed when they began to appear on his left arm again. He'd missed them.

Whoever his soulmate was, Louis hoped they weren't as bored as he was in that moment. Seriously, if he had to sit through another lecture on how much Mary loved Hamlet he was going to stab himself in the eye just to avoid class next time. He did remember as he watched another blossom slowly come to life that he was supposed to pick up Lottie and take her to dance class, though. He quickly scribbled, "Lotts dance 4," on his hand so he wouldn't forget. He wondered what his soulmate thought of that. Louis smiled a bit to himself and then continued to daydream as the vines on his arms grew in size and beauty.

*******

Harry doodled on his arm while he waited for the bus in an attempt to curb his annoyance. He had just missed the last one, leaving him stuck with a 20 minute wait before the next bus for his line came by. At least he'd remembered to bring a marker with him to keep himself entertained. He really should get a flat that was either on the underground line or closer to work and school.

Today he was drawing clematis vines. They were some of his favorite flowers, and he hoped his soulmate appreciated them too. Harry wasn't the best at drawing, but he was good enough so he thought of his doodles almost as gifts he was giving them.

The bus eventually pulled up, so Harry capped his marker and climbed on. His trip to work was longer than he wished, but he loved his job teaching music to children who had experienced trauma in their lives and his boss, Nick, was willing to be flexible with his hours at school so he really couldn't afford to stop.

He settled down and was just about to get back to work on the clematis when he noticed a new scribble that hadn't been on his hand before. "Lotts dance 4". Harry pulled his hair into a bun as he considered what that might mean. Does he like to dance? Does he have a lot of dancing he needs to do at 4? Hmm.

Harry rolled his eyes at himself again for assigning a gender to his unknown soulmate. It very likely was a girl, but Harry had never in his life been attracted to one, so he really truly did hope his soulmate was a boy. Man. Manboy. Sigh.

Back to the marking on his hand. The handwriting really did look like a man's handwriting, but Harry knew that was also stereotypical of him. These kinds of notes on his hand were the only gifts his soulmate really gave back. Random glimpses into their life in the form of, "Buy milk!" or "meet Li 7 old pub". Though sometimes his soulmate would color in some of the outlines Harry left and those were some of Harry's favorites. It didn't happen often, but when it did he felt like they had connected on another level again.