i'll be flicking stones at your window, I'll be waiting outside

Louis

Louis is 14 when he discovers the concept of soulmates. The fact that he hadn't seen colours since forever had never bothered him before. It never had been a subject his best friend Liam and him discussed before either. Of course he has heard of the yellow sun and how it is bright, or the green grass and the blue sky but he doesn't see them and it's normal to him.

It's when his cousin Lucy bursts in tears, wrapped in a stranger's arms in the middle of the street during an ice cream walk that he starts wondering. They were walking next to each other, talking about his and Liam's latest prank, which was a complete success until his mother walked in and lectured them for almost an hour, when Lucy froze suddenly. He watched her as her grey eyes opened wide, she reached her right hand in front of her open mouth and he remembered wondering what was her problem. A man was slowly approaching them. Louis didn't recognized him but he was smiling like an idiot, watching Lucy straight in the eyes. His gaze was moving between his weird acting cousin and the stranger who looked like he just won the lotery. He was getting the impression he just ended in an alternative universe where people went mad randomly. Lucy had started crying and he saw the tears in the eyes of mister-stranger-who-likes-staring-at-women-crying-in-public as well. The next second they just fell in each other arms, crying a river together and yeah, Louis was definitely on another planet.

His mother explained later that Lucy and Brett, because it was the man's name, even if it just really sounded american-football player like in Louis' ears, were soulmates. He frowned. Since when soulmates were a thing? Did he have one too?

" Each human being has a soulmate somewhere on earth. And before you meet them, colours don't exist. When you first see your soulmate, colours just appear to you and it's like a signal that you find your real partner, do you understand? "

He did. And this story obsessed him a bit for a while. He wanted to learn how it worked, when would he get to meet his mate, what did the colours look like and if his could be a boy.

He talked about it with Liam. They spend hours in his room, wondering where were their soulmates, what were they doing right now. Liam really wanted to meet a lovely girl and were often saying that no matter what she'll look like, he would loved her with all his heart. Louis was not so sure himself. After he deeply thought about it, looking endlessly at his ceiling in the dark, he was positively sure his soulmate would be a boy. He didn't think he could be able to love a girl and he probably never will. He just really hoped the universe would not do him this trick. He really did. 

This very morning, Louis wakes up to a revelation.

"PAYNO! We're out of orange juice!"

Liam tilts his head through the kitchen's door to see his roommate glaring at the empty bottle like it's responsible for all the universe's catastrophes. "Relax Lou, I'll just buy another when I'll come home from work.

- Well, there is the tragedy dear Liam, we're also out of Coco Pops. My day is officially over before it'd even started."

A deep sigh was his only answer before his best friend abandons him at his lamentation.

How is he supposed to function properly without his cereals? He cannot face a day in class with an empty stomach, believe him, he tried.

Liam comes back thirty seconds later with his wallet and suggests nicely -because Liam is always nice, it's annoying- that he can just go buy some, if it's this needed. Louis gives him his prettiest smile, the one even he can't resist after all this years, smacks his bum and goes out of their flat, his earphones already on.