Chapter 41:

A S P E N    W I L S O N
»»————-  ————-««

I stand, unmoving and unable to even breathe as I tried to process Levi's words. The room is just as still as I want to believe my heart is.

No one moves. No one speaks.

And no one looks at me.

In the silence, his words start to echo over and over and over in my ears.

I'm your biological father, I'm your biological father, I'm your biological father.

My head spins and I can't feel my limbs and I suddenly am overwhelmed with the urge to throw up when the room starts becoming blurry.

I hear a scream. "What the hell?! I told you not to! Get out of my house! Get out now!"

There's a lot more screaming. Different voices. The voices start mixing, not making any sense. I'm frozen in my spot, my head pounding as I blinked, hard.

"What..." I can barely recognize my voice when I find it again. "What did you just say to me?"

"You—" Levi gulps, but that glint of cruel determination doesn't leave his eyes. "—are my child. It's me, sweetheart, I'm your father."

My stomach flips inside out.

"No." I refuse. It can't be. "You can't be—you...you're lying...no, you're messing with me. Yeah, that has to be it. Why would you be my—that makes no sense." My voice starts to shake, similar to my body. "Dad...my dad...no. He isn't you, that's—that's not possible—it can't. No."

I look around the room, completely lost and feeling a bit of my heart chip away with each second of silence that passes. I fix my gaze on Melissa. Then April.

Why were they so quiet?

My head spins more in utter confusion. Why wasn't anyone paying attention to this? Why were they being so unresponsive to the bullshit this man was spewing? This was our whole family he was lying about! I don't care that we had an terrible relationship but we were still family and this whore was claiming something that would destroy what we had ever since we were young.

Before I can speak on it, I hear the loud crinkling of paper and I turn towards the source only to see Levi holding out papers for me to grab.

I eye him and then the papers before reluctantly retrieving them from him. My eyes scan the papers and my heart jumps up to my throat at the reading.

PATERNITY TEST:

Child: Aspen Wilson
Child: April Wilson
Alleged father: Owen Wilson

The alleged father is excluded as the biological father of the children. Based on the testing results obtained from the analyses of the DNA loci listed, the probability of paternity is 0.000001%.

I feel sick.

I read the text, over and over, hoping somehow that the words on the paper would start moving and change. Hoping that what was on it wasn't true.