I'm a carpenter now

Bored... bored... bored...

Dick was laying on the floor of his small home with his feet propped up on the wall. He glanced around with a sigh... there was absolutely nothing to do.

He rested a hand lightly on his stomach, feeling the slight bump of bandages around his torso. Taking time off to heal absolutely sucked.

Dick released another long sigh. He'd already done everything he could possibly think of. He'd cleaned the house, cooked enough food to feed a small army, polished all his weapons, and even read through a book Jason had recommended to him.

As he looked around once again Dick noticed a blank wall in his relatively new home... and a blank wall meant potential for a boredom relieving activity...

Dick soon found himself driving to the edge of town, hating that doctor's orders wouldn't allow him to walk, run, or heaven forbid swing around to find his inspiration.

The annoyance was replaced by excitement when Dick saw what he deemed to be just the thing he needed.

A pile of old wooden pallets lay by a crumbling warehouse with a sign that said free. Perfect.

Dick hauled as many of the pallets as he could to his car, ignoring the fact that he really wasn't supposed to lift anything yet... because what's life without a little spice?

Once he'd stuffed his car full of the pallets he drove to a nearby hardware store to pick up things he deemed necessary... most notably a nail gun and a handheld saw.

Jason came home after patrol and immediately noticed that Dick wasn't in bed like he should be. He cursed under his breath. Dick had been following the doctor's orders so well. Of course he'd gone and probably done something stupid.

After changing out of his Red Hood uniform, Jason went through the entire house checking each room for his husband.

The entire house seemed unnaturally clean, no doubt something Dick had done to try and alleviate some boredom.

Jason entered another room, flipping on the light switch. His eyes widened when he saw pieces of broken up pallets strewn across the room. He walked further into the room and noticed Dick curled up on the ground.

Dick was covered in tiny splinters of wood. Pieces of it were stuck in his hair, and there was a smear of varnish across his cheek.

Jason chuckled quietly, taking a few moments to actually look around at the room.

There were a few surprisingly sturdy shelves here and there, as well as a new feature wall all made from the recycled pallets.

Jason knelt at Dick's side and gently shook his shoulder.

Dick opened his eyes with a quiet whine. "Jay," he mumbled tiredly as he stretched.

"Hey Dickie," Jason chuckled. "Look's like you've been busy."

Dick hummed, rising to his feet with some help from Jason.

"What inspired all this?" Jason asked.

"Weeeeeeeell... I was bored," Dick said leaning against Jason.

"And you followed all the guidelines that Leslie set while doing this?" Jason asked.

Dick was silent for a while. "Noooooo," he eventually said.

Jason ran his hand through his hair. "Richard Grayson-Todd... I swear you will be the end of me."

Dick smirked at Jason. "Come on. I know you love it," he said cheekily.

Jason rolled his eyes and swept Dick up in his arms, carrying him into their 'mini Batcave' and laying him down on the table.

"Hey? What're you doing?" Dick asked, trying to squirm off the table.

"I have to check your stitches to make sure you didn't break any doing your little art project," Jason said.

Dick pouted and folded his arms, watching as Jason removed his bandages.

Jason tutted when he saw the messy line of popped stitches. He donned a sterile glove and gently prodded the wound, determining that none of the deeper stitches had broken.

Dick bit back a quiet whimper.

"I'm going to close this again really quick then it's straight to bed mister," he said, grabbing some suture material and working on closing the wound.

"All done," Jason said, finishing the last stitch and removing his gloves.

"Jay?" Dick called. "I think I might have gotten a concussion."

Jason's brow furrowed as he leaned over his husband, checking if his pupils were equally dilated.

Dick reached up and grabbed Jason's head, pulling him down until their lips met in a short kiss. "Just kidding," he said with a quiet giggle.

Jason rolled his eyes and gave Dick a small peck on the tip of his nose. "I stand by what I said earlier. You will be the end of me..." he said, pulling Dick to his feet and wrapping him in a careful hug.

Dick rested his forehead against Jason's, a smile on his face.

A soft smile appeared on Jason's own face. "And I wouldn't have it any other way."