Snape's Daughter: Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen:

I stared at the family tree depicted on the wall in shock, there was no way, right? I backed away slowly before running out of the room as fast as I could go. As much as I wished it weren't true, I knew that it was. Why else did he care so much about who my mum married? Why else would I look familiar to him if I look nothing like my mother? It was because I looked... like him.

I was Sirius' daughter, but I knew how Professor Snape hated him, so would he now start treating me the same? As I thought of that, I decided that I just wouldn't mention it to anyone, there's no way I could ever let my friends know. My mind worked fast to come up with all these questions and answers.. I was almost proud of myself for working so quickly.

I'm sure that Sirius was a nice man, at least, he sure seemed like one but he wasn't there for me when the man I thought was my father beat me. Nor when he called me a freak, when I ran away or came to Hogwarts. At least Professor Snape was there for Hogwarts, Umbridge and just earlier when my mother found me at the park. I had already begun to think of Snape as my father, I wasn't going to let this one little fact change my mind.

As I made it back into the kitchen, I sat down at the empty table and listened for all of the voices. It was getting pretty late, perhaps everyone had already gone to sleep. I sat in complete silence, for one hour, then two, as the third rolled around I still wasn't tired.

"Trouble sleeping, Lily?" I jumped as I heard the voice behind me before jerking my head around to stare at him. Sirius Black. Licking my lips in an act of pure nervousness, I stared at him before remembering that he had asked me a question.

"Yes, sir."

"Don't call me sir. It's easy to tell from your face that you've seen the family tree. My name is Sirius. You know, you don't have to worry about me taking you away from your father, not unless you're unhappy with him. There's no need to worry about it Lily, regardless to the fact that I am your biological father, Severus is your real father. It's quite easy to see that in the way you look at him and the way he rushed out of the house yesterday when Harry told him you were in trouble." Sirius chuckled softly before staring out of the window that sat above the kitchen sink.

The moon hung in the sky, a giant crescent while stars twinkled happily, lighting up the night for all to see.

"Would you like to take a walk?"

I was sure that my eyes had widened in shock as I turned to stare at him. A walk? At nearly three in the morning, was he a nutter?

"What? It's not as if anything can happen, we're magical, after all."

"Okay."

Nothing more was said as we walked out of the house. The unmistakable chill of an early morning was in the air, mist fell from the sky, dewing on the grass and sidewalk. As we came back to the park, mini-flashbacks from earlier assaulted my mind, making it nearly impossible to walk straight. Shaking my head in a desperate attempt to fling those thoughts away from me, I fell over to the side, bumping into Sirius.

"Sorry." I mumbled, heading over to the swings before plopping down in one. Covering my mouth, I released a yawn, and then began to kick my feet out and in. Sirius sat next to me, not looking at me but rather at his feet.

We sat in complete silence as the minutes slowly ticked to hours, simply swinging and when the sun began to come up we watched the sunrise. The moon slowly disappeared, as well as all of the beautiful stars.

"I should be getting back to the house, I don't need to be caught out here in the daylight."

His voice startled me out of my hypnotized state of mind, and as I looked up at his figure, which towered over me as he'd already stood up, I smiled.