24: a needed visit

COMMENT LOTS & KEEP VOTING

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER IS REALLY SAD. IM SORRY. :')

Jess

I had a dream about them last night. You know that feeling you get when you wake up and you feel amazing because you achieved something in your dream, or because you got a new outfit or shoes in it? Then you realize it wasn't real. That's how I feel right now.

I had a dream that I had my parents. And now I wake up on Christmas Day, my parents not here. They'll never be here.

For months and months after the bombing, I've tried to tell myself that I'll never see them again. I've tried to move on to the point that I didn't cry every time someone mentioned them.

But it still hurts so fucking bad.

There's nothing I wish more than to have my parents here, witnessing what I've been doing. I want them to see how successful I've gotten. I want my mom to see how right she was about how independent I'd be when I got older. I want my dad to see that how right he was about how I'd always come home because I'd miss them too much.

Well, I'm home.

I roll myself out of bed and walk into my bathroom. I didn't have to look in the mirror to see that my face is tear stained.

It's Christmas. I shouldn't be crying.

I get myself ready in the painfully silent apartment. I dress in a sweatshirt with a leather jacket over it and jeans. I put on a beanie and sunglasses before walking out the door and down the stairs.

Steven wasn't by the door, probably enjoying his Christmas. The streets weren't as busy as they normally were and most of the shops down the road were closed. Luckily, the coffee shop a few blocks down was always open for a few hours Christmas morning.

I walk down the sidewalk to the shop and as soon as I walk inside, the smell of strong coffee overwhelms me, waking me up a bit.

"Hi, what can I-I get you?" The woman at the registers asks. I saw the recognition on her face right away.

"Just a regular coffee, please," I reply.

"Light roast?"

I nod and she rings me up. I hand her the correct change and she gives me the coffee.

"Could I get a picture, by any chance?" She asks unsurely.

I grimace. "I'm sorry. I feel like crap right now, but I'd be happy to follow you on Twitter or something."

Her face brightens up and she quickly gives me her username. She watches as I follow her and thanks me a few times.

"It's no problem. Merry Christmas," I say, walking out of the shop, letting the cool air hit me again. I drank half of my coffee before a taxi finally stopped for me.

I gave him the address of where I wanted to go. He gave me a wary look, knowing the place to which the address belonged to, before driving off in that direction.

I could feel my phone buzzing off the hook in my bag, but I ignored it. Right now, I didn't need or want any interruptions.

Within twenty minutes we arrived.

"This your stop, ma'am?" The driver asks.

I nod, completely sure. Sadness washed over me and I pushed away tears. I handed him forty dollars and left the car.

I walked on a path, knowing exactly where I was headed. Two sections down, three to the left, and under a huge tree.

In Loving Memory