43: falling into place

EARLY UPDATE & OVER 5000 WORDS AGAIN! COMMENT & VOTE BC WE GOT TO #13 IN FAN FICTIONNN 🌻❤️

Jess

"Unfortunately, we are a day behind now," Jane tells me as we eat breakfast downstairs in our new hotel. Paparazzi had gone berserk last night and it was too much to handle, so Jane switched our hotel.

I twisted the ring on my finger. "How much do we have to get done?"

She scrolled through her phone and began listing off everything. "Shooting for the music video, get a dress for the Grammy's, apartment hunting, rehearsals, vocals, studio, creating the set list, opening act discussion, and I'm sure you want to get some fresh air somewhere in between."

A very exaggerated huff left my lips. There was so much to get done and even though I would rather sleep, thinking about apartments and the Grammy's put me in a better, more awakening mood.

"We leave tomorrow, Jess," Jane chimed, an excited smile brightening her face.

The tour, the tour, the tour. It's practically here. I remember when I was counting down from six months and now it's in four days. 53 shows set to be going from February 2 until the end of September.

I took a sip of my coffee to hide my smile. My first show in Tokyo is sold out and I've never been before. I was so thrilled to see what kind of a place it was there.

"We should head to the studio now. Carson said you were starting to record some today?" Jane asked for confirmation.

Because we'd finished over half of the album, one of my friends that helps me with writing as well as being my go-to studio guy, Carson, said that it wasn't a bad idea to start recording before tour.

"Yeah, we're going to try and get as much done as we can."

Jane locker her phone and tossed it into her purse. She smiled. "Well, let's get going then. Big day."

•••

Recording songs aren't the easiest or simplest things ever. You don't record things in order per say. All artists have to sing against is a drum loop in headphones because you don't necessarily have the rhythm section finished.

This first song I was recording was very bass dependent. It also was a song that didn't sound much like the stuff I've recorded previously. It was also the first song that had someone featured on it, A$AP Rocky. I couldn't record at the same as him because he was busy and I was going on tour. He and I had talked and met up in person to write some of the lyrics, though.

"Start with the first verse and we'll go from there. We can change the lyrics around or whatever," Carson told me.

I nod and take out my phone and go to my notes where the lyrics were written. I put the headphones over my head and go along with the rhythm.

"I'm on my 14 carats. I got 14 carats. Doing it up like Midas, mhm. They say I got a touch so good, so good. Make you never wanna leave. So don't, so don't."

I stop and take off the headphones, looking towards Carson. Honestly, the beginning sounded and felt a little rough. I gave him a wince and shook my head.

"I don't like the beginning," I say.

"I agree. I think it's the second sentence."

I nod and then hum and whisper the lyrics to myself, trying to figure out a way to make them different without changing the whole verse. Finally, I seemed to figure it out.

"Okay, I got it," I tell Carson.

I slip the headphones back on and the drum beat starts again.