⟦ 9 ⟧

As the young boy walked the elementary school grounds, he ignored the stares the other children sent him. All the whispers that spread the gossip around, making up rumours that were all untrue.

Everyone assumed he'd done bad things.

He'd always try to be kind and considerate, but no matter what, he always scared them off. No one believes that he's done anything besides hurt people. And it was all because of something he couldn't control, his voice.

Each day, after he came back home from school, he'd sob uncontrollably in his room until he'd snap back to reality. Sometimes, it could take hours of cuddling into his bedsheets, wishing that his voice would improve itself.

It got to the point where he didn't talk anymore.

On the rare occasions where he did speak, people backed away. He felt unnatural. He only desired to be treated like others.

Ever since he entered high school, Corpse stayed away from people. He had to speak with his teachers each time, telling them he wouldn't be able to present a project, in some cases resulting him a zero in class.

Like the other days, he felt cold and strived to feel something. He wanted to know what comfort felt like, maybe what it's like to hug someone for more than two seconds.

He walked along the pavement, paying no mind to the falling snow. He heard a bell ring and looked up to see a couple walking into a tea shop.

"A tea shop?" It looked cozy inside, without many people. "Maybe a quick hop in and out."

Corpse was about to walk inside when the couple walked back outside, holding cups in their hands. After they passed, Corpse stepped inside.

He stood still for a moment, and he heard a soothing voice call out to him.

"Uh, do you need anything?" he asked.

There it was. Once Corpse looked at the boy, he could see the terror spark in his eyes. But it didn't last long. Instead, it was replaced with curiosity? Admiration? Corpse couldn't tell, but it wasn't fear.

Corpse felt around his pockets and then realized he hadn't brought his pen and paper. He would use them to write what he wanted to say instead of using his voice. "But I just walked in. It would be strange if I left without ordering something, right?" he thought.

Corpse walked over, ignoring the stares from the other customers. He pulled a bill out of his wallet and held it out, "Black tea." he said. "Jesus, Corpse. No need to be so direct. You're going to scare him even more."

Corpse took a look at the other's face, which didn't present anxiety. How refreshing. He found the boy to be a peaceful vessel, just for a moment. Although he continued to tremble and fidget, it wasn't so bad.

The barista held out his tea for him, and he took it with both hands.

"So uh," the man says, "It seemed you were cold so..." the barista hands over a green scarf, looking anywhere but Corpse's eyes.

Corpse takes the fabric into his hands. It's soft and feels warm. He smiles under his mask and looks at the barista, and finds the courage to speak. He asks when he should return, but the other response is to let him know that he can keep it.

Corpse doesn't leave after that. "What's your name?" he asks.

"I'm Sykkuno, you?"

"Corpse."

That was how it started, and Corpse wouldn't have it any other way.

Since it was the first time, he felt warm because of another's actions.

✧ ✧ ✧

The shop was busy that day, but thankfully Sykkuno wasn't alone. Rae decided to stay at the till and greet the customers since everyone else wasn't as communicative as her. Sykkuno was happily pouring tea while Toast cleaned up the tables.

Corpse wasn't doing much, only watering the flowers. But it was the best part of the day knowing what the meaning this plant held. They spent the rest of the shift working silently and peacefully.

Once Corpse finished, he joined Sykkuno behind the counter to help with making drinks.

"Sykkuno?" Corpse whispered.

"Yeah?" Sykkuno responded.

"I know it's a little sudden, but could I like..."

Sykkuno slowly turned his head to face Corpse. "What's wrong?"

"Uh, nothing, can we just go somewhere more private to talk?"

Sykkuno looks back, and it seems that Rae and Toast are holding their own, so Sykkuno brings Corpse to the other room.

"What's up?" he asks.

Corpse rubs his hand up and down his arm while he taps his foot against the floor. "Sorry, It's just hard to ask."

"No worries, we can talk later if you'd like."

"No, that's fine. Can I— have a hug?"

Sykkuno smiles and slides his arms around Corpse. Corpse let his arms flop to his sides.

He wanted to know what this was. No— he needed to know what this was. Corpse craves to stay at Sykkuno's side forever, no matter what. Sykkuno was like him, a person that allowed everyone to assume anything about themselves.

In truth, Sykkuno was told he was boring, that he wasn't unique. But if only those people got to know him, they'd realize just how amazing Sykkuno is.

He lets his mind wander back to his mark. Their mark now. The tattoo on their stomachs that bonded them together, by the universe, some would say. Corpse wanted to know the meaning behind it. All the other marks he's seen on other people represented the soulmates, so what could their's mean?

It was a cluster of flowers connected by a branch, under the silhouette of a black moon. But it was strange to Corpse. The flowers were white, not orange like the Calendula Sykkuno grew. But the longer he thinks about it, the more he realizes.

The Calendula is a guide for them. But not the symbol itself. It resembles an important meeting. Perhaps, it's a sign of good luck that the shop is where others can find their soulmates as well.

Regardless, Corpse was in Sykkuno's arms at this very moment. And nothing was going to stop him from keeping it that way.

"Sykkuno."

"Yes, Corpse?"

"Do you want.. to go on a date?"

✧ ✧ ✧

*nervous laughs* yes I know it's been over a week I'm sorry bout that

question: preferred outfits for you?

have a good morning, afternoon or night!

-fai